PDA

View Full Version : New Rotary coming

Dave Johnson29
05-05-2009, 5:51 PM
Hi guys,

Not sure if this against the TOS but I guess I will see by tomorrow. ;)

With so much action going on with rotary discussions I thought I might toss some information into the ring.

For the past few months I have been working on prototypes of a chuck-style rotary. I am currently on my 4th prototype and this is looking really promising.

I hate pre-announcing stuff in case I hit a wall and drop the project but there seems so much discontent with the current rotaries out there I thought I might mention that help **may** be on the way.

James Stokes was kind enough to loan me his rotary as I thought I could develop an add-on to make it better at gripping as an interim measure while development continued on the full rotary. I made about 5 prototypes for the drive (motor end) end and was pretty happy with what I finished up with. Large beer mugs, full bottles of wine etc all worked perfectly no matter how much soap suds was splashed about.

However when it came to the tail end my first two prototypes failed, not because of design flaw, but I realized I would need to modify the existing rotary to make my parts do what they had to. This had me designing new parts to assist the other new parts and that to me is chasing my tail so I have dropped the add-ons and gone back to work on my full prototype.

The chuck is all but completed and the rest of it is pretty much plain old engineering so I do not envisage too many hold ups from here on in.

Dan Hintz
05-05-2009, 8:40 PM
Dave,

Would it have any advantages over using something pre-existing like a Buck Chuck? I've often seen those for a couple hundred $ and seem variable enough to hold everything from a pencil to a wine bottle.

Dave Johnson29
05-05-2009, 9:30 PM
Would it have any advantages over using something pre-existing like a Buck Chuck?

A couple off the top of my head, cost and "feel" the common scroll chuck is intended for gripping wood or metals tight for turning. That means feel for a wine glass is out of the question.

Most of the stuff I have designed and built in my Engineering design lifetime is usually on the lateral-thinking plane. This is no different.

Thanks for the comment though.

James Stokes
05-06-2009, 7:50 AM
Dave, I was talking with epilog yesterday and they now have a new rotary attachment designed with cones and a chuck. They said it would hold anything

Dave Johnson29
05-06-2009, 10:47 AM
I was talking with epilog yesterday and they now have a new rotary attachment designed with cones and a chuck. They said it would hold anything

Hi James,

Competition, I love it. Bring it on !! :D:D

I was also remiss in my first post for not thanking Dee for some valuable assistance in the development of my rotary system. Thanks Dee!!

David Fairfield
05-06-2009, 12:05 PM
While you're at it, see if it can be used as a CNC laser lathe. Its been on my list of things to experiment with. I think at low speed, high power and high rotation, the laser might work as a wood lathe. At least for small stuff.

Dave

Dave Johnson29
05-06-2009, 12:37 PM
While you're at it, see if it can be used as a CNC laser lathe.

Hi Dave,

Most things may be possible. :)