PDA

View Full Version : Urethane Bandsaw Tires...Issues

Jess Wetherhold
05-05-2009, 4:34 PM
So I got them on no problem but they are just a fraction of an inch too wide. If I force them into the groove they bubble in the center. What is the best way to trim them (I am afraid of ruining them?)
There is also a bulge in one spot which makes the blade track unevenly but I am assuming this may go away once the tires are trimmed.

Pat Germain
05-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Gee, Jess, I'm thinking those aren't the right tires for your saw. I'm also thinking trying to make them fit will just be an exercise in futility. And then the tires would be ruined and unfit for returning to the store where you bought them.

Personally, I would return the tires and explain the situation to the proprieter. Have the exact model number of your band saw handy to assist with getting the right tires. If it's not too much trouble, you might even remove one of the wheels and take it with you to match up to a set of tires; or at least demonstrate the tires you bought don't fit.

Ben Franz
05-05-2009, 11:54 PM
I got the red urethane tires from Rockler. The first pair had very pronounced bumps at each weld. Rockler CS shipped out a replacement pair very quickly (called them Monday AM, package delivered Thursday by priority mail). The welds were a little better but still a problem - caused noticable vibration and some flutter in the blade. I decided to sand the bump out. Installed 1st tire on lower wheel and sanded smooth with 100 grit and a wood block. Then took tire off lower wheel and installed it on upper wheel. Repeat with 2nd tire for lower wheel. It was a little more work but I'm now really good at stretching tires onto wheels.

The tires seemed a little wide for the wheels but once they were stretched into place the fit was perfect. If your tires are bulging in the middle after stretching, you could trim them with a single edge razor blade easily.