PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G5912Z or Powermatic PM2700

Daryl Henderson
05-05-2009, 3:48 PM
I have been looking for a shaper for about 3 months now. No luck on craigslist or similar forums. I have decided I will have to buy new, and with Woodcraft offering 20% off on the 15th-16th I thought this might be a good time.

I noticed that Grizzly has their 5hp shaper with free shipping. I took advantage of their clearance sale and picked up a G0566 21" band saw and it arrived within a few days and was in perfect condition.

After adding a mobile base to the Grizzly Shaper, it is about $390 less expensive than the PM after delivery.

Is the PM worth that much more than the Grizzly?

Matt Benton
05-05-2009, 4:31 PM
Since it looks like they are both about the same weight, I would go with Grizzly and use the extra $ on cutters....

Erik Christensen
05-05-2009, 5:44 PM
for the built in digital height gauge

Peter Quinn
05-05-2009, 9:47 PM
I'd go with the PM in a heartbeat for a $400 difference. Ever tried to move a 700# shaper on a shop fox mobile base? I do it all the time at work, and it sucks. I hear the PM mobile base is for real, and that alone might make the difference. Also take a close look at the fences, and if possible FEEL the height raising smoothness in person on both machines, because that is the meat and potatoes of a shaper. Precise setups are all based on these two features. I think the Griz fence looks like a joke, but I have never seen it in person. The PM fence is sweet, and has dual dust ports. Ever vacuum the inside of a shaper cabinet after every use? It sucks. Grizzly lists 5 7/8" maximum cutter diameter, I have panel raisers bigger than that so it wouldn't work for me. And the Griz machine says 5HP, 14A motor? Since when did 14A=5HP? I can't find the motor plate rating for the PM, but my 5HP PM table saw is 24A! Go figure?

Throw in the digital height gauge, 5 year warranty (and PM has very good customer service just like grizzly, though IME you are less likely to need it), bigger table, I'd want to see an $800 to $1000 gap between those two machines.

Tom Hintz
05-06-2009, 2:24 AM
I havev been a fan of Powsermatic for some time and have found all of thier machines that I bought to be very much worth the money. I have a full review of the PM2700 (VERY nice machine) at the link below. Of the two you mention, I would easily go with the Powermatic even if the price difference were twice what you are finding.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pm2700rvu.html

Rob Damon
05-06-2009, 12:25 PM
I hear the PM mobile base is for real.

Absolutely, the mobile base on the PM2700 is much better than on than the ones on the PM planer. You can easily move and rotate the machine on a dime. The hand wheel on the left/rear raises/lowers.

The PM fence is sweet.

Correct. Download the manuals for the two shapers from their websites and look at the difference in quality. PM is much nicer. The knurl knob on the rear casting, moves the whole fence/hood backward and forward with ease. The individual fences have micro adjustment knobs. Also, the fence hood dust collection tube keeps the whole fence assembly perfectly centered on the cutter shaft.

I can't find the motor plate rating for the PM.

Looked on my motor nameplate last night: 22A, 240V

Also, the table top is huge 30" x 40" and if that is not enought there are predrilled/tapped holes for adding extensions wings on both sides.

Rob

Philip Johnson
05-09-2009, 7:51 AM
You guys should be shaper salesmen for powermatic. I was looking at the lower priced shopfox and grizzly machines and then this thread comes up.

Now I want a PM2700 after reading Toms glowing review. The trouble is I can not find any other reviews on it. Does anyone else have one and your thoughts on it. I'm sure its a nice machine I'm not sure I will use it enough to justify the money invested in it.

Peter Quinn
05-09-2009, 3:56 PM
I took a close look at the PM2700 at a store, that thing is for real. I use older PM's and SAC shapers at work, I never cared for the old style PM fence, the new one is much nicer, more like an SAC fence with some modern Euro features. I have a older delta in my shop now that I got for $700, put the new delta fence on it (the new delta fence is also a very good design, the old one was kind of a toy). I want to add a second shaper and have my mind set on the 2700 for which I am saving my pennies presently.

The 2700 seems to be bridging the gap between the older smaller style shapers (like the PM27's or delta X-5 and earlier designs of similar origin) and the next larger weight class like SAC's or SCMI's that have large tables and 7 1/2HP 3P motors. Sort of a middle weight that suits my needs perfectly. The grizzly looks like a clone of the older smaller machines (though I'm still stuck on the fact they say their 5HP motor is 14A@220 which doesn't add up to me) with a taller spindle and more speeds. Why would you need a shaper to go that slow when the largest cutter it can spin is under 6"? I have spun a few monster panel raisers on a big shaper that definitely needed the slower speed (8"). Grizzly says the hole in the table is 7", but the biggest cutter it can spin is 5 7/8"? Something strange there.

For a basic shaper I'd probably opt for the next size down from Grizzly and save more money, or look at the new Jet series (30X?) that has a fence more like the PM with less frills in the same price point as the grizzly.

Rob Damon
05-09-2009, 7:57 PM
I have had this one for six months. It is definitely heavy duty and built like a tank. The fence/cutter shroud moves like silk. As you can see, you can easily add extension wings as well. They come in handy for longer boards. They bring the top to 40" + 16" + 16" = 72" wide. I got it with the 5 hp motor, which give plenty of power. This photo doesn't show it, but I have a PM powerfeeder for it. The back of the table comes pre-drilled and tapped for the powerfeed.

Rob

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=101676&d=1227336458 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=101676&d=1227336458)

Philip Johnson
05-09-2009, 8:05 PM
hi Rob

How do you like the PM power feeder. I was thinking of picking up the 2700 and the power feeder this weekend when Woodcraft has em on sale. Do you recall how much the extension tables were?

Rob Damon
05-09-2009, 8:56 PM
Philip,

The extensions came from Quality Grinding. They weight a ton. If I remember correctly, they were about $460 total, including shipping. I have the Pm PF-31 1 hp power feeder, and it seems like it will handle anything you throw at it.

Rob

Joe Jensen
05-09-2009, 9:05 PM
I'd go with the PM in a heartbeat for a $400 difference. Ever tried to move a 700# shaper on a shop fox mobile base? I do it all the time at work, and it sucks. I hear the PM mobile base is for real, and that alone might make the difference. Also take a close look at the fences, and if possible FEEL the height raising smoothness in person on both machines, because that is the meat and potatoes of a shaper. Precise setups are all based on these two features. I think the Griz fence looks like a joke, but I have never seen it in person. The PM fence is sweet, and has dual dust ports. Ever vacuum the inside of a shaper cabinet after every use? It sucks. Grizzly lists 5 7/8" maximum cutter diameter, I have panel raisers bigger than that so it wouldn't work for me. And the Griz machine says 5HP, 14A motor? Since when did 14A=5HP? I can't find the motor plate rating for the PM, but my 5HP PM table saw is 24A! Go figure?

Throw in the digital height gauge, 5 year warranty (and PM has very good customer service just like grizzly, though IME you are less likely to need it), bigger table, I'd want to see an $800 to $1000 gap between those two machines.

ABSOLUTELY, and if you ever sell or upgrade, the PM will hold it's value much better then Griz

Peter Quinn
05-09-2009, 9:09 PM
I have had this one for six months. It is definitely heavy duty and built like a tank. The fence/cutter shroud moves like silk. As you can see, you can easily add extension wings as well. They come in handy for longer boards. They bring the top to 40" + 16" + 16" = 72" wide. I got it with the 5 hp motor, which give plenty of power. This photo doesn't show it, but I have a PM powerfeeder for it. The back of the table comes pre-drilled and tapped for the powerfeed.

Rob

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=101676&d=1227336458 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=101676&d=1227336458)

Wow Now that's what I'm talking about! Nice shaper there. I'm seeing so much gold I'm turning green.

john s white
03-10-2011, 9:35 PM
Hi there .....Rob....thanks for the photo ......i am waiting for my new PM 2700 to be delivered from Woodcraft now and am very excited as i have a lot of projects planned for this tool...am making my own tongue and groove boards for siding inside my shop now and will be making three doors just to name a few.....Can you tell me where you got the table extensions?? is that a powermatic part? would you have a part number maybe......That sure makes the table top huge and workable.
thanks in advance Rob....

John white....
john@woodworking4computers.biz