PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a FAX program.

Joe Tonich
08-07-2004, 10:44 AM
The FAX program that came with my computer will only do one page at a time. Is there an inexpensive program out there that I can buy or download that will FAX multiple pages at one time? I need it to send resumes, letters, etc... The only thing I've found was at BEST BUY and it was $100.:eek:

Thanks,

Joe

Aaron Koehl
08-07-2004, 2:29 PM
Joe,

If you have a fax modem in your computer (most are):
I use and recommend the Microsoft Fax driver--it works just like a printer, so just 'print' to the fax number you want, and voila! I've had great success with it.

Joe Tonich
08-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Joe,

If you have a fax modem in your computer (most are):
I use and recommend the Microsoft Fax driver--it works just like a printer, so just 'print' to the fax number you want, and voila! I've had great success with it.
Aaron,

Will it work with XP? It only says '95, '98' & 2000. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Joe

Lee Schierer
08-09-2004, 9:57 AM
My US Robotics modem came with a fax program. It does multiple pages. I was able to use it wih my fax modem at home which is not US robotics.

Tony Sade
08-09-2004, 10:00 AM
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what about those of use who use a DSL or cable modem and don't have an internal modem in our PC's? Thanks

Brian Austin
08-09-2004, 12:09 PM
I'm not sure about modem fax programs for WinXP. I use a fax server at work, which is probably more than you'd want for home. :p

On the Internet side, however, there are faxing services such as eFax. I've got some remote salesmen using the system with a fair amount of success. You get a dedicated fax number, they convert it to e-mail and send it to you. You have a service that runs on your system to fax out through their phone system over the Internet. It's not a bad way to go and I'm sure there are competitors who offer similar services.

Jamie Buxton
08-09-2004, 3:47 PM
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what about those of use who use a DSL or cable modem and don't have an internal modem in our PC's? Thanks

One issue with fax and broadband is that most fax equipment expects to hear a dial tone before it does anything. Here are three possibilities --

1) Get a dial-up ISP and a conventional modem. My year-old $500 computer came with ethernet and dial-up connections right on the motherboard, and my DSL ISP throws in free dial-up service, so I'm all set -- for free.

2) Use a fax-to-email service. There are a number of companies which will accept your email and turn it into a fax to send someplace else, and vice versa. I think some of them are free if you let them superimpose an ad on your fax. An advantage of this kind of service is that it can receive faxes 24/7 -- unlike your home computer which must be on with its fax software running in order to receive a fax.

3) Buy a fax machine. They're cheap. Or get a multifunction printer, which does printing, scanning, and faxing.

Jim Becker
08-09-2004, 4:11 PM
My copy of WinXP-Pro has faxing built in...works like a printer driver. Configure it from the Control Panel --> Printers and Faxes

Of course, it does require a modem to work.

Joe Tonich
08-09-2004, 9:04 PM
My old computer came with Win98 first edition and it had RingCentral Fax on it, which I could send multiple page faxes. Unfortunately it died. I now have WinXP Home edition with a fax program that I can only send one page at a time. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?? I went to RingCentral's site to see if they had anything like what I had before, but could not find anything. I was hoping I could find a program like that (that uses your home number) that was inexpensive that I could buy or download from the internet. I guess I'll have to go to OFFICEMAX or someplace to do my multiple page faxes for now.

Thanks for the responses,

Joe

Jim Becker
08-09-2004, 9:31 PM
Joe, I'm not familiar with WinXP Home, but doesn't the thing install as a printer driver? If it does, you should be able to "print" to the modem as a fax. That's the way it installs in WinXP Pro, at least. If so, just make sure everything you want to send is in the same document... Word can take in just about anything to compose a multi-page document, including scans and other graphical information. If you don't have Word, download OpenOffice from openoffice.org...for free!