PDA

View Full Version : MDF vs Plywood

Steve Southwood
05-05-2009, 10:26 AM
What is the benefit of using MDF over Ply? I noticed that most all magazines use mdf for jigs and such.

I have been thinking of making a storage cabinet and really can't see the benefit of mdf. Am I missing something?

Tom Walz
05-05-2009, 10:34 AM
MDF compared to Plywood

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/Tech_saw_blade_cutting_MDF_plywood.htm

Cary Falk
05-05-2009, 10:42 AM
What is the benefit of using MDF over Ply? I noticed that most all magazines use mdf for jigs and such.

I have been thinking of making a storage cabinet and really can't see the benefit of mdf. Am I missing something?

I only use MDF for surfaces that I will be putting Formica on. For anything structural definitely use plywood. I like baltic birch plywood for jigs.

Jamie Buxton
05-05-2009, 10:47 AM
MDF is less expensive than plywood, mostly because smaller trees can be used to make it. That's about the only good thing I can say about it.

Plywood is better than MDF because:

* Plywood is stiffer. That is, for the same material size, plywood shelves sag less than MDF.

* Screws and glue hold better in plywood.

* MDF sawdust is nasty. It is very fine, so it'll coat your lungs or your shop, and it is slippery when it forms a layer on the floor.

* Plywood is lighter. A 4x8x3/4 sheet of MDF is difficult for me to hump around the shop.

Fred Hargis
05-05-2009, 10:51 AM
I really like it for jigs and such, even so I'll only cut outside (and I prefer a windy day). It's also great for workbench tops and other applications in the shop/garage. But for cabinets, furniture, or almost anything else I pass on it.

Mark Garc NYC
05-05-2009, 10:53 AM
MDF is good for jigs and use with laminate , because you can't beat it's flatness without having to put in tons of effort. It's quick and easy, but that comes at a price.

I hate it recently because of how darn heavy it can be, lol.

Todd Burch
05-05-2009, 11:39 AM
+1 on what Jamie said, emphasis on his second sentence.

Greg Crawford
05-05-2009, 12:53 PM
MDF is great for templates, cheap, uniform, flat. It's also got a much more consistent thickness than plywood because of how it's made. If I need a jig that has to be accurate and strength isn't an issue, I turn to MDF. Like Marc though, to me it seems to get heavier with each passing year :-(

Chris Padilla
05-05-2009, 1:17 PM
MDF is less expensive than plywood, mostly because smaller trees can be used to make it. That's about the only good thing I can say about it.

Plywood is better than MDF because:

* Plywood is stiffer. That is, for the same material size, plywood shelves sag less than MDF.

* Screws and glue hold better in plywood.

* MDF sawdust is nasty. It is very fine, so it'll coat your lungs or your shop, and it is slippery when it forms a layer on the floor.

* Plywood is lighter. A 4x8x3/4 sheet of MDF is difficult for me to hump around the shop.

Pretty much what Jamie said but let me add:

MDF is dead flat, uniform and dimensionally stable (when sealed) and usually dead nuts on for thickness (i.e. exactly 3/4", for example). It has no grain whatsoever. It is a WONDERFUL surface for veneering to due to these qualities.

That said, I wouldn't use if for cabinets or at least the structural portion of a cabinet...use plywood instead.

Frank Drew
05-05-2009, 1:27 PM
It's pretty nasty stuff in many ways that nevertheless has its uses, as noted above.

Jamie, I bought a sheet of the 1" MDF to stack up into a form for a bent lamination; humping that into the shop just about killed me. If I remember correctly it might have even been 60" x 96". :eek:

Steve Southwood
05-05-2009, 2:16 PM
Thanks for the quick replys. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. Maybe the magazines are getting a cut from the sales ;).

Von Bickley
05-05-2009, 2:16 PM
MDF vs. Plywood.......

I don't use compressed sawdust and cardboard....... :D