PDA

View Full Version : First Natural Edge Bowl

Bill Bulloch
05-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Here is my first Natural Edge Bowl that the Bark stayed on. I have tried them several times in the past, but the bark always comes off. Still I had a lot of problems with this one. First off, I roughted it out too thin and it cracked at the top while drying. I didn't want to lose it it being my first, so I cut a wedge shape at the crack and filled it with an epoxy/Box Elder wood flower mix. Next, when I rechucked it to try and shape it up a little the spigot crushed and I was unable to chuck it. Still, I didn't want to lose it, so I hand sanded it. After all was done it look sort of plane, so the wife enhanced it with one of her paintings. What ya think?

P.S. It's sweet gum with an 8 inch dia and about 3 inches high.

Ed Frie
05-05-2009, 10:27 AM
That is a very nice bowl.

I especially like two things. One, you and your wife can have some quality family time working together. Two, the "mixed media" approach to this piece is an interesting idea.

Nicely done.

Steve Frederick
05-05-2009, 10:38 AM
You missed your wife's name on the bottom!
That's a really pretty piece. Looks like you managed to save it, for sure!

Bill Bolen
05-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Your fortitude certainly paid off! Nice bowl with an attractive form. The wife's painting certainly sets it off...Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
05-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Bill - nice looking bowl and it sure looks like it was worth the effort! I agree with Steve - you should have your wife's name included to show it was a joint venture! Nice work! Hope it goes a little easier the next time!

Rick Prosser
05-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Way to hang in there!
Took a little extra elbow grease and some teamwork, but the finished product came out nice.

Chris Rae
05-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Great save! I like it, very unique. Tell her she did a great job on the painting and put her name on it. I like what you did with the crack too.

Bill Bulloch
05-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the kind words. And, actually, she puts her name at the bottom of the painting. I just didn't get a picture of it.

Bernie Weishapl
05-05-2009, 5:20 PM
Great piece of wood and very nice turnig, and your wife is a great artist.