PDA

View Full Version : where to source replacement bandsaw wheels?

Nathan Hawkes
05-05-2009, 3:22 AM
I have a ridgid 14" saw that has a crack in the cast aluminum wheel, and I'd like to replace it with a cast iron one instead. Anybody have any suggestions?

Rick Lizek
05-05-2009, 6:06 AM
Why? I don't think it's cost effective unless you have a machine shop at your disposal as you would most likely have to modify and arbor and or wheel hub. I'd have it TIG welded or price a new wheel.

Nathan Hawkes
05-05-2009, 7:05 PM
I just was looking for something that would be a little more solid than the original. It is a Ridgid, but I've improved it a bit; 2HP baldor, riser block, sturdy stand, Iturra tension spring, coolblock guides, urethane tires, but the upper wheel was always a little unbalanced anyway.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are at least 2 machinists in the turning club I belong to, so getting the center bored to match shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Perry Underwood
05-05-2009, 7:25 PM
My impression is that cast iron bandsaw wheels can be very expensive. You might want to look on ebay to get some ideas. Another possibility is to contact Grizzly about buying a wheel as a parts purchase. I believe their G0555X Extreme bandsaw uses cast iron wheels.

William Falberg
05-05-2009, 7:49 PM
Grizzly and Ridgid wheels (+ or - $60) are about the same price. (+ or - $20 depending which wheel)