PDA

View Full Version : one seged, one not

Mike Golka
05-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Here are two new bowls I finished on the weekend, the segmented one is maple and purpleheart the other is poplar even though it say maple on the bottom:o I'll have to sand that out and correct:rolleyes: The segmented one is 10.5" x4.5" and the poplar one is 12" x 3.5" Comments and critiques welcome.

Robert McGowen
05-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Both of those look nice. The segmented one looks very well aligned with tight joints. Good job.

Dewey Torres
05-05-2009, 1:02 AM
I also vote for the segmented one!

Jeff Nicol
05-05-2009, 9:09 AM
Mike, The simple design on the segmented bowl is just right! Not to much to over shadow the bowl and the segments. I really like the diamonds! Like I have said before, I am amazed at the time that is put into the work and have not tried it yet, some day though I will.

Great bowls,

Jeff

Mark Patoka
05-05-2009, 9:11 AM
I like them both but the seggy looks great.

Richard Madison
05-05-2009, 9:20 AM
Nice work Mike! The maple and purpleheart is a great combination.

Bernie Weishapl
05-05-2009, 9:30 AM
Both are very nice bowls. Simple form and I to like the seggie.

jason lambert
05-05-2009, 9:57 AM
Yea the segmented one is nice. But both are nice I like the grain on the other as well. Good job.

John Terefenko
05-05-2009, 10:11 AM
I too will have to vote for the segmented one. I love those details not that the simple one is not nice. That too is well made. Thanks for showing.

Bill Bolen
05-05-2009, 10:43 AM
2 lovely bowls and your segmented work looks very precise with just the right amount of elements to make it stand out. Well done...Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
05-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Mike - looks like your new lathe is working out OK for you! Both bowls are very nice! I really like the simple design on your segmented bowl. Nice colors also! Love the grain on the poplar! Keep up the good work!

Chris Rae
05-05-2009, 11:15 AM
They are both great work, but I really like the segmented one. I like the design very much! Nice work!

Mike Golka
05-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Thank you all for your comments. I'm more partial to the seggie too:D. Steve the new Mayo is light years ahead of the old Craftex:eek:. I just wish my turning skills improved as much as my equipment upgrade did:confused:.

Malcolm Tibbetts
05-05-2009, 1:17 PM
Mike, great job! Which technique did you use to do the diamond? They look very good.

Tim Cleveland
05-05-2009, 4:03 PM
Both bowls are great. I think I prefer the segmented one more though; I love the simplicity of its design.

Tim

Mike Golka
05-05-2009, 6:11 PM
Malcolm, thanks for your approval, it means a lot to me comming from the "Master".
The diamonds were done using a 60 degree router bit both to make the voids in the segments and to cut the matchng diamonds. The diamonds are 2 piece to enable sanding of the segments after the half diamond was glue into the maple segment. I tried to make the diamonds in one piece but found I couldn't get the machined exact enough to fit properly. I have done one piece shapes before but they were made to fit a 90 degree void, a square is much easier to machine to fit than a 60 degree diamond.

Ryan Baker
05-05-2009, 9:44 PM
That segmented bowl looks great. Elegant, but not overdone.

Malcolm Tibbetts
05-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Malcolm, thanks for your approval, it means a lot to me comming from the "Master".
The diamonds were done using a 60 degree router bit both to make the voids in the segments and to cut the matchng diamonds. The diamonds are 2 piece to enable sanding of the segments after the half diamond was glue into the maple segment. I tried to make the diamonds in one piece but found I couldn't get the machined exact enough to fit properly. I have done one piece shapes before but they were made to fit a 90 degree void, a square is much easier to machine to fit than a 60 degree diamond.

Mike, you are becoming quite the "master" yourself. As you probably know, I've done many diamonds using a 45-degree bit; I've never thought of using a 60-degree bit. I can imagine the increased difficulty of creating a one-piece diamond as the insert. You got'a love this stuff - there's just no end to the possibilities.