PDA

View Full Version : Used Planer - What to Look For?

Sean Dugre
05-04-2009, 10:17 PM
I have a chance to get a 15 year old Delta DC-33 13" planer for $300. Sounds like a good deal to me. I've never owned one, so what should I look for when I go to look at it? I was planning on bringing a board to run through, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Todd Burch
05-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Look for signs of abuse, obviously.

I would take a few boards - some wide, like 11", and some narrow, like 2".

Try feeding a 2" board on the left and right sides at the same time, taking a light cut. Both boards should feed at the same rate, and after a couple passes, should be the same thickness.

See if the owner kept the manual and any tools / accessories.

Check the cord for wear.

Does it sound smooth cranking up and shutting down?

Run a piece of hardwood through it, taking light cuts, and a medium to heavy cut too.

Does any dust collector hood come with it? Extra knives? Knife setting jig?

Make sure the table (or head?) runs up and down easy.

Prashun Patel
05-05-2009, 8:49 AM
Perhaps that's a great planer, but there are other good lunchbox planers in that price range that are newer. Not sure I'd want to spend that much on a 15yr old tool. Only thing I'd personally buy that was 15yrs old are handtools.

Knives are replaceable but they're a cost, so that's the 1st thing I'd check on.

Chip Lindley
05-05-2009, 10:32 AM
IMO, Shawn's estimation of the *value* of old machinery is way off base! If he has never owned an *OLD* machine, he obviously would not understand the difference. NEW machines in this price range nowadays are *disposable* items! But, you are looking at a solid planer, built like a TANK!

For $300 you could well be getting a GREAT Deal! The DC-33 is a heavy-duty planer with a *real* 230v, 2hp motor, which will give you years of HEAVY service. *Lunchbox* planers in the same price range come and go. They are not built for longivity!

If the DC33 runs smoothly with no vibe, the infeed and outfeed rollers are under power, with no unusual noises, chances are you are getting a fine bargain that the owner just does not need any longer. Even if the motor or cutter head needed new bearings, you are still getting your moneys worth! Look for obvious cracks in the CI base and head casting. If the machine only has slight surface rust on the CI, not a problem! If it has sat outside and the rust is pitted, you may want to pass on it!

You may or may not be able to determine how the planer cuts, depending on sharpness of knives at present. But if the owner will plane a few pieces for you, seeing is believing!

I have the earlier Rockwell RC33 13" which is almost 30 years old. All I have never done is replace the on/off switch with a mag starter, occasional lube on the feed rollers, and sharpen the knives since 1984!! It's a Keeper!

Rod Sheridan
05-05-2009, 10:46 AM
I agree with Chip, if the machine is in working condition, a little bit of clean up, lubrication and adjustment, and you have a planer that's far better than a lunchbox for very little money.

I'd always assume that a planer of this age would need knives replaced or ground, so I'd estimate about $60 for a spare set of knives, always a good idea so you can run the planer while the dull set is out getting sharpened.

If it runs well (disregard any tearout, knives may be very dull or damaged) buy it.

Inspect the cutterhead (from underneath is fine) to check for rust, check the table for rust, the columns also. If everything looks OK, go for it.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Some old machinery holds its value. I sold my General 14" planer last year for the same amount I paid for it.

Sean Dugre
05-05-2009, 6:50 PM
Thanks folks. These are exactly the kind of tips I was looking for. Unfortunately, somebody beat me to it, but I'll keep your suggestions in mind for the next time.

Prashun Patel
05-06-2009, 8:24 AM
IMO, Shawn's estimation of the *value* of old machinery is way off base! If he has never owned an *OLD* machine, he obviously would not understand the difference.

I defer to you, Chip. I don't know what I'm talking about. Sorry; won't happen again.