PDA

View Full Version : New Family Member

Jim Becker
05-04-2009, 10:02 PM
We have a new family member. Meet Elvis.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/elvis-1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/elvis-2.jpg

Elvis is a Quarter Horse/Warmblood cross, 10 years old and stands 16.1 hands tall. (A hand is about 4") We were originally going to lease him, but financially, it worked out better to buy since there is already a half-lease on him and he's used as a lesson horse. Both of those things cut the board bill to below what we were paying for just a half lease on Dreamy, the paint mare we had been leasing since last September. Needless to say, the girls are thrilled. Professor Dr. SWMBO and I are also pleased...he's a really sweet boy.

And no, we did not plan to do this so quickly, but that's just the way it worked out...there are always surprises in life.

Here are a few more pictures...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/girls-elvis.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/mayday-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/mayday-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/alesya-elvis.jpg

Sorry about that last one being blurry...taken with my iPhone and the lighting was low.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-04-2009, 10:09 PM
He looks just like you Dad!:eek::rolleyes:

Seriously....a non-purebred and 10 years old. That is exactly what I'd be looking for if I was looking for a reliable horse for hunting, packing or just pleasure riding. Mature.....and not a "hot" blueblood bred for show!

Matt Meiser
05-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Congratulations.

But let me tell you, your story has me worried! My mom bought my daughter riding English lessons for her birthday. She had her first lesson the weekend before last and its all she talks about. :eek:

Jim Becker
05-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Matt, yes, it can be a little scary. But you know what...the kids at the barn are THE most mature, hard-working and responsible kids I have ever met in my life. Your daughter will not only learn to ride, but she'll likely be immersed in some darn good role model situations, too.

---
Ken, last Wednesday night I rode a horse named Spring Fling, who is a real show horse. While it was an incredible experience and I learned an amazing amount in 45 minutes, she wouldn't have been the right horse for a family situation. Elvis is. Yet don't be fooled...he's not only gentle, he's also a real performer with a smooth, graceful gate and some nice flash, too.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Jim,

I did some very serious elk hunting until 8 years ago. We drove into camp, hunted on foot and used horses and mules to pack the elk out. About 15 years ago I decided I wanted my own horse and eventually mules and I'd be able to elk hunt until I reached age 70. Of course, after breaking my back all that changed! Anyway, I went to a lot of horse auctions and talked to a lot of professional horse trainers.

The first suggestion they had was....don't buy a purebred. All too often they have been bred for show and not for personality. They often will be hot blooded and thus require a lot more training, regular workouts.

The 2nd piece of advice they gave was look for horses or mules at least 10 years old as they will have matured. Usually by then...what you see is what you get. Their personalities have formed by then. Most horses and mules can be ridden into their twenties barring any unusual health problems.

The third piece of advice was to buy a horse coming off a working ranch. I know now why they advised that. They have been worked regularly and thoroughly by people who know what a good horse should do.

The best horse we had in camp was at least 15 when the owner bought him and he was 25 when he died of natural causes. The old guy had a very pleasant personality....he'd come off a working ranch in Montana. The first time I rode him was in an arena. I had him at a full gallop and put on the brakes. He sat down on his haunches. I was off balance and started to go over the saddle horn. He released long enough to "catch" me and then sat back down again. He was truly a pleasure to ride! Smart old guy......well trained....great personality.... and no bad habits. There was a spot missing in all our hearts when we got the call that they'd found him laying dead in the snow outside the heated barn at their local ranch.

Jim Becker
05-05-2009, 7:07 AM
Ken, a lot of those qualities you describe are important for a "family" horse. I'm the only one right now that can ride a little "hotter" mount, like Spring Fling who I rode last Wednesday, but that's pushing things. Great for my training, but not good for general riding.

Elvis may have had some Western experience as he seems to understand neck reining and prefers a soft touch on his mouth. (In the English riding we do, the reins are not loose and are subtly used to convey aids--instructions--to the horse) The latter is a small challenge for my older daughter as our previous lease, Dreamy, required heavier hands. Elvis does not like that in the least. But she seems to be getting that message so far.

That last thing you describe is an important characteristic of most well trained horses. They really do know what's going on with the rider on their back and can intimately sense where the rider's balance is (or is not). But that's also what makes the TBs and other more "show" horses to be considered "hotter" and so forth...they are major sensitive to even a small dip in your shoulder. It's amazing.

Get yourself to SE Pennsyltuckey sometime, Ken, and I'll introduce you to Elvis. I suspect you'll like him!

Steve Southwood
05-05-2009, 8:44 AM
Nice animal there Jim, always had a spot in my heart for them. Growing up the neighbor had a couple and we would ride. Remember like it was yesterday.

Brian Brown
05-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Elvis is a Quarter Horse

I knew the economy was getting bad, but buying only a quarter of a horse is a little overboard. :eek:
117521 At least you got the front quarter rather than the rear. :rolleyes:

Oh, I see the other pics now. "Quarter horse"... My bad! :o But what a great deal, a nice horse like that for only a quarter. :D

As you can probably tell, the only thing I know about horses is, what goes in one end comes out the other in a less desireable form.

Actually it is really great seeing families spending their discretionary dollars on something the entire family enjoys. Now if only I had some discretionary dollars... or for that matter, some non-discretionary.... oh well. :mad:

Mitchell Andrus
05-05-2009, 1:00 PM
Matt, I bought SWMBO lessons 18 moths ago. She's having a great time in her 4th class and is progressing nicely.

Do it. You all won't ever forget the experience.

Mike Cutler
05-05-2009, 6:43 PM
Elvis looks like a very well put together horse. Nice hind end, clean legs, his topline looks fantastic. He's got the head size of a warmblood, but theres some refinement in his bone structure there that looks like he has Appendix Q-horse in his lines, especially his eyes. Very expressive eyes.
He's beautiful Jim. Very nice.

But that's also what makes the TBs and other more "show" horses to be considered "hotter" and so forth...they are major sensitive to even a small dip in your shoulder. It's amazing.

Very true statement here Jim. As a TB owner I can tell you it's like driving a high performance race car. Ours is pretty forgiving though.

Jim Becker
05-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks for your "eyes" on Elvis, Mike--I also thought there might be some appendix there. He was a bit of a wreck when the barn owner found him, but good feeding and exercise over the past few months (as well as attention from the dentist and farrier) have really done well by him. He still has a way to go to fully fill out, but that will come with continued nutrition and regular riding. The major hollows are gone from his backside and they will get more rounded. More bulk around the withers is likely, too.

His trot is amazing...it has "that bounce" that is nicely showy and comes from the hind quarters, too. The white socks make it even more noticeable. He's still a little tough to get into the canter, but that's getting better each time he's asked for it. He'll jump cross-rails now without hesitation, too. I'll let the girls deal with that last one more and more as I'm moving more toward flat work for equitation and maybe a little tiny bit of the lower level dressage stuff. I'm too old for the serious jumping stuff!

I have some short videos I need to deal with and I'll post links to them once I have the opportunity to do so. You'll see what I mean about that trot.

BTW, my 17 year old instructor came from somewhere up your way about a year ago. She's awesome...a real asset to the barn.

Rod Sheridan
05-06-2009, 8:52 AM
I knew the economy was getting bad, but buying only a quarter of a horse is a little overboard. :eek:
117521 At least you got the front quarter rather than the rear. :rolleyes:

Oh, I see the other pics now. "Quarter horse"... My bad! :o But what a great deal, a nice horse like that for only a quarter. :D

As you can probably tell, the only thing I know about horses is, what goes in one end comes out the other in a less desireable form.

Actually it is really great seeing families spending their discretionary dollars on something the entire family enjoys. Now if only I had some discretionary dollars... or for that matter, some non-discretionary.... oh well. :mad:

Actually Brian, when I owned a horse I found that it was less expensive to own the back end (output) than the front end (input).:D

Regards, Rod.

Rob Cunningham
05-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Beautiful looking horse Jim. Congratulations and good luck.

Tom Henry
05-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Jim-

Congrats on the new addition to the family. Beautiful Horse!!

Tom

Tom Henry
05-07-2009, 11:56 AM
OH...and I won't tell my daughter...I don't want her getting any ideas.

Jim Becker
05-07-2009, 2:55 PM
Yea, it's kinda like that spinny thing vortex...but in a good way. You will not meet more responsible, personable and "older than their years" kids than you will at a stable. Eye opening....