PDA

View Full Version : Quality Bandsaw Blade Selection

Carroll Courtney
05-04-2009, 7:49 PM
Guys,I am just about finish restoring my PM141 bandsaw.New bearings and new tires w/crown on them.I have always purchase Timberwolf blades and I thought that Timberwolf blades were the best that a person could buy for a 14"& 20" bandsaws.I overheard acouple of guys talking at the local WC store and they both agree that they hated Timberwolf.So I'm guessing maybe they like Olson,etc.What kind of BS blade do you purchase and do you consider it as being the best?Thanks Carroll

Dick Strauss
05-04-2009, 8:05 PM
Carroll,
Nice restoration job! It almost looks too nice to use. Put some dust on it already or I might change my mind.

I've used TW blades (3/8"-3tpi AS) for green wood and have been happy with them. I don't have much experience with dry wood but have heard good things about the Woodslicers (for non-carbide resawing blades).

Neil Bosdet
05-04-2009, 9:14 PM
Carbide Lenox and Laguna blades for resawing etc and Tiimberwolf for everything else. Olson does not compare to Timberwolf IMHO.

David Christopher
05-04-2009, 9:38 PM
What do you plan to do with your BS...resaw, tight curves ????......TW blades have worked great for me. but for serious resawing I use the laguna resaw king

Ken Fitzgerald
05-04-2009, 9:47 PM
Carroll,

I traded some emails with Mark Duginske when I was buying my bandsaw. He stated he likes Olson bi-metal blades. He said while Timberwolf was sharper the bimetal blades lasted 5-6 times as long. So I invested in some Olsons. I haven't had to use them yet. I have the cheap blade that came on my saw and so far, after setting up my saw by Duginske's book, I have had not need to change blades. That will be changing shortly as I have some tight turns to bandsaw and the blade that came with it is a 1/2" blade.

Carroll Courtney
05-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks for replying guys,and Ken I have that same book and reading on how to tune the saw and doing the maintenance on it as well.I wanted to put on the right blade for the task at hand,either way I wanted to know quality.I still like the TW blades,but I will also try Olson and for the resawing I will try Laguna blade.Thanks for all the suggestions---Carroll

Bruce Wrenn
05-04-2009, 11:23 PM
I have TW, Olsen and Delta blades, but I have been running a bi-metal blade from Woodworker's Supply for the last six years. One day it is going to get dull - maybe. Than I will try one of the others.

Danny Burns
05-05-2009, 1:54 PM
The market seems to have a nice selection of bands for 14" saws right now with a couple real nice new ones.

If you like the Wood Slicer, but not it's price, then check-out the Blade Runner by Iturra Designs.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=4029689&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

It is made from the same stock as the Wood Slicer.

The downside to Iturra Designs is that they are still stuck in the 20th century with no website.

Toll Free: 866-883-8064

Office: 904-371-3998

Fax: 904-371-3998

E-mail: KALLL@REMOVEcomcast.net (KALLL@comcast.net)

4636 Fulton Road
Jacksonville, FL.
32225-1332
================================================== ================================================== ================================

Here is a real nice blade that i have had on my 14" Delta and it cut like a charm! The Little Ripper Blade.

http://www.tufftooth.com/

Click on the red 'Specials', and it is near the middle of the specials page.

"When resawing or cutting straight, we recommend our 5/8” x .025” x 3TPI tungsten impregnated silicon blade. It will make the cut cleaner and faster than a normal bandsaw blade. Extra hard, stays sharp and cuts straight. It is extra wide to add stiffness to the blade, has a thin kerf and cuts extremely smooth. Please specify length when ordering."

The key to these blades for 14" saws is the thinner stock metal that allows these saws to tension the blades right. Most blades are 0.035" once they get over 1/2".

Chris Padilla
05-05-2009, 3:29 PM
I've been very happy sticking with Lenox blades:

I use the 1" Trimaster (2/3 var pitch, carbide) and the 1/2" bimetal Diemaster2 (6 tpi, hook style). I was not very happy with any of my Timberwolf blades.

I have a 20" MM (Minimax) bandsaw.

Burt Alcantara
05-05-2009, 4:26 PM
I like Timberwolf blades, especially the 1/2x2 AS. However, I go through them like candy. Can't get much milage out of them. For that reason, I ordered a Lenox Diemaster2 1/2x3 hook with the hopes that the blade will last longer then a week.

I still have my Woodmaster so if the Diemaster fails me the Woodmaster goes back on for keeps.

Burt

Pat Germain
05-05-2009, 10:46 PM
I wouldn't give up on Timberwolf based on two jokers talking at Woodcraft. ;) I think band saw blades are a matter of personal preference as well as specific function. I also think anyone who suggests TW blades are lousy is just plain wrong. Someone may not particularly like them, but they are of good quality.

TW blades are supposed to run with less tension than other blades. Someone who had a bad TW experience may have been running too tight.

Dave Sweeney
05-06-2009, 11:25 AM
A +1 for Lenox blades.

Danny Burns
05-06-2009, 3:35 PM
I like Timberwolf blades, especially the 1/2x2 AS. However, I go through them like candy. Can't get much milage out of them.
Burt
That's how I ended up sharpening my first bandsaw blade.

Most of the time the life of the blade is determined by the number of round trips it takes, and so sharpening a band full of micro cracks, might not see the sharpening reach dull again.