PDA

View Full Version : Ok, What is it......

Bill Huber
05-04-2009, 7:21 PM
It was laying on my desk the other night and a friend was by (yes I do have one) and saw it and said "What the hell is that" so I will let everyone here figure it out.

It is made from 3/4 plywood, it has no moving parts and it gets used just about every day.
This is kind of a test one to see if it would work and it does and very well. I think I may make another one that looks a little better at some point.

To give you a little hint here is some info about me.

I live in Fort Worth, Texas
I am an IT tech
I drive an S10 Chevy pickup
I drink Shiner Bock Beer
I also like photography
I drink a lot of ice tea
I have been doing woodworking for about 2 years now.
I only live about 6 miles from work

So that is all the hints I am giving at this time. I do understand this may not be easy so I will give more hints as needed in the future.

117435 117436

Chuck Isaacson
05-04-2009, 7:30 PM
Its a new wave cable management/bottle opener/handcuff/key chain/trailer hitch!!

Brian W Evans
05-04-2009, 7:34 PM
Don't know what the heck that is, but +1 on the Shiner Bock. I was stationed in TX in the mid nineties and Shiner remains one of the things I remember most fondly of my time there.

Terry Rothwell
05-04-2009, 7:40 PM
Is it some sort of cup-holder for your truck?

Dennis McGarry
05-04-2009, 8:13 PM
Well from the looks of the top of it, it appears to be somesort of clamping mechanism, with a stop attached.

The open C form would tend to be useful for holding a large cup.

Living in TX and the heat, driving a s10, your ac is 2x55 so by opening the screw at the top, you are able to roll your window down, tighten the clamp around the window/door jam and slid your cup in it.

If that is not it, then It has to be a New Wood Thingamajig

Grant Vanbokklen
05-04-2009, 8:15 PM
Is it some sort of cup-holder for your truck?

My thought too. It fits in the original cup hold spot and holds a larger container.

Brad Wood
05-04-2009, 8:41 PM
My thought too. It fits in the original cup hold spot and holds a larger container.

+ 2

My vote is a cup holder adapter chingadera

Bill Huber
05-04-2009, 8:51 PM
Here it is in use.....

I had no place to keep my big 32 oz cup without it falling over all the time.
So with the confidence I got from being on this forum I said I can make something out of wood that will work.

Thats what I came up with.

The screw in the back hooks under the plastic lip of the original holder and keeps it from falling out, the block in front keeps in centered in the original holder. When the wife is with me she still has a place for her coffee cup.

117457 117458

117459 117464

David DeCristoforo
05-04-2009, 8:51 PM
I'm not even going to venture a guess unless there is a prize....

Oops! Too late!

But I would have guessed a head clamp so I would not have won the prize anyway....

Tony Bilello
05-04-2009, 9:02 PM
I still think it has greater potential as a bedroom toy.

Brad Wood
05-04-2009, 9:09 PM
I still think it has greater potential as a bedroom toy.

wow, I'd hate to be in the hotel room next to you :eek:

:D

Liz Wojtkieiwcz
05-04-2009, 10:23 PM
wow, I'd hate to be in the hotel room next to you :eek:

:D

Not for nothing kids, but I'd hate to be in the hotel room WITH him -- and that:eek:

Though my husband is laughing people pretty hard right now. ;)

Scott Vigder
05-04-2009, 11:10 PM
I was thinking a dowel rod holder. A really BIG dowel rod holder.

John Thompson
05-04-2009, 11:17 PM
A cup holder.. clever. But if you had graduated from Georgia Tech.. I would have guessed it was a oil filter clamp to remove the fliter when changing oil. Then again.. probably not many change their own oil these days but everyone has something to put in a cup holder.

Nice job and again... clever.

Sarge..

Vince Shriver
05-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Geeze, I was going with an up-side down question mark, with a special port to stow the period which goes under it when in use.

Russ Sears
05-05-2009, 7:42 AM
With the hints about tea and Shiner Bock, I thought it was a Men's Room key holder.

Todd Trebuna
05-05-2009, 7:52 AM
My wife guessed it was a sea horse. :eek:
Although she's brunette, I often wonder if she dyes it. :)

Prashun Patel
05-05-2009, 8:34 AM
Hey, Bill, that's pretty clever. You should sell the idea to GM. I think it's just the thing they need to turn themselves around.