PDA

View Full Version : nail or staple 1/4" plywood ?

ron hokenson
05-04-2009, 5:21 PM
I built a 32X60" cabinet that has a back of 3/4" plywood which I overlapped the top, bottom and sides. The sides have 3/8" dados that hold the drawer bottoms and show from the back.

I want to clean the back up and ordered 1/4" plywood to cover the entire back. I am not sure if I can get by with using 18 gauge brads or if a staple would do a better job. I will glue along the edges and in the middle the long way.

Will the brads work or do I need staples ?

Thanks in advance, ron

Jamie Buxton
05-04-2009, 6:10 PM
Quarter-inch plywood is so thin that brads might pull right through it. That's why unglued 1/4" backs are generally stapled. However, if you're using glue, the brads or staples just hold the plywood until the glue cures, and it matters less which one you use.

Todd Burch
05-04-2009, 6:48 PM
I prefer staples over brads every day of the week, glue or not, unless you are hand nailing with nails with real heads, and I prefer that over staples which tend to blow too deep anyway.

Phil Phelps
05-04-2009, 9:01 PM
Once the glue dries???? Use brads.

Phil Phelps
05-04-2009, 9:06 PM
I prefer staples over brads every day of the week, glue or not, unless you are hand nailing with nails with real heads, and I prefer that over staples which tend to blow too deep anyway.
Hey Todd. Not to hijack this thread, but I've been unhappy with the staples when I lay down eighth inch masonite on a crate. I cut a spacer and tape it underneath the gun so the crown doesn't sink in so far. Yeah, a bit anal.

Neil Bosdet
05-04-2009, 9:17 PM

Same here.

Todd Burch
05-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Yes, me too on the spacer, plus you can cut the air pressure down - trial and error.