PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press auxillary table

Jack Gaskins
05-04-2009, 4:43 PM
Anyone purchased a auxillary drill press table and would you recommend it. I need one but am too lazy to make one. Was thinking of purchasing either the Hartville Tools version or the Woodpeckers version. Thanks.

Clint Schlosser
05-04-2009, 5:20 PM
I purchased the $30 model from Rockler and wished I had just saved the money. I would suggest making your own.

Chris Tsutsui
05-04-2009, 6:20 PM
Maybe in the past Rockler sold a $30 table perhaps similar to the harbor freight model that sells for just under $30.

I got the newer Rockler version that sells for $119.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10163&filter=drill%20press%20table

Personally I think it's great.

I bolt it to the table, there's a cut-out relief in the table top to allow full movement of the up/down crank. The fence is adjustable on tracks. The t-tracks allow hold downs. Dust collection is awsome with the port near the drill. And a replaceable 1/2" MDF insert where the drill bit meets the table.

Has a formica type of melamine top that's durable along with a rubber edging.

The table is flat, large, and so far there's nothing I would change about it. Well, except for the price, I would lower it :)

Todd Burch
05-04-2009, 6:53 PM
When I need an extra table for the drill press, I make one.

I'll take a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" ply or MDF (whatever is handy), 12-16" wide (or wider) and maybe up to 4' long (as needed). At the rear edge, I'll add a 3/4" x 3/4" or some such scrap to the top of the ply to use a fence, screwing from underneath.

At the front edge of the ply, I'll add a 1" x 2" or some other such scrap underneath for the length of the ply, screwing from the top. When done, I dispose of it because I don't want to store it.

Brian W Evans
05-04-2009, 6:54 PM
I have the Rockler table Chris mentioned. It does have some nice features but there are a few things to keep in mind:

1) it's large and heavy. It's not for benchtop DPs or smaller floor models.

2) the hold-downs are kind of cheap. I'll eventually replace mine with something more substantial.

3) The fence is MDF (albeit with the same nice coating the table has) and therefore will eventually need to be replaced. Mine already has a few chunks out of the edges. The aluminum angle piece that the fence attaches to is decent, though, and will easily take a new fence.

Aside from these things, I'll second what Chris said.

Joe Jensen
05-04-2009, 7:18 PM
I don't have one. I just have a piece of scrap particle board on my table. I can see the hold downs being useful, but I don't see the need for a fence. If you need a series of hole in a line, just clamp a board to the table as a fence. Am I missing a lot of utility?

Bill Huber
05-04-2009, 7:28 PM
I also bought a Rockler, save your money and make one.

I did use the fence from the Rockler and made the table, but they are nothing to make.

Matt Day
05-05-2009, 9:56 AM
Bill's looks very similar to mine. I've very happy with mine, and all I've got is a jointed 2x4 for the fence.

Mark Garc NYC
05-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Has anyone come across small plans for the bench models?