PDA

View Full Version : Another Best Buy Experience

David G Baker
05-04-2009, 4:28 PM
A friend sent this to me. He said that it was checked out on Snopes dot com. Thought I would pass it on.

Best Buy has some bad policies....
Normally, I would not share this with others, however, since this could happen to you or your friends , I decided to share it. If you purchase something from, Wal-Mart, Sears etc. and you return the item with the receipt they will give you your money back if you paid cash, or credit your account if paid by plastic.
Well, I purchased a GPS for my car, a Tom Tom XL.S from 'Best Buy'. They have a policy that it must be returned within 14 days for a refund!
So after 4 days I returned it in the original box with all the items in the box, with paper work and cords all wrapped in the plastic. Just as I received it, including the receipt.
I explained to the lady at the return desk I did not like the way it could not find store names. The lady at the refund desk said, there is a 15% restock fee, for items returned. I said no one told me that. I said how much would that be. She said it goes by the price of the item. It will be $45.00 Dollars for you. I said, all your going to do is walk over and place it back on the shelf then charge me $45.00 of my money for restocking? She said that's the store policy. I said if more people were aware of it they would not buy anything here! If I bought a $2000.00 computer or TV and returned it I would be charged $300.00 dollars restock fee? She said yes, 15%.
I said OK, just give me my money minus the restock fee.
She said, since the item is over $200.00 dollars, she can't give me my money back!!!
Corporate has to and they will mail you a check in 7 to ten days.!! I said 'WHAT?!'
It's my money!! I paid in cash! I want to buy a different brand..Now I have to wait 7 to 10 days. She said well, our policy is on the back of your receipt.
I said, do you read the front or back of your receipt? She said well, the front! I said so do I, I want to talk to the Manager!.
So the manager comes over, I explained everything to him, and he said, well, sir they should have told you about the policy when you got the item. I said, No one, has ever told me about the check refund or restock fee, whenever I bought items from computers to TVs from Best Buy. The only thing they ever discussed was the worthless extended warranty program. He said Well, I can give you corporate phone number.
I called corporate. The guy said, well, I'm not supposed to do this but I can give you a 45.00 dollar gift card and you can use it at Best Buy. I told him if I bought something and returned it, you would charge me a restock fee on the item and then send me a check for the remaining 3 dollars. You can keep your gift card, I'm never shopping in Best Buy ever again, and if I would have been smart, I would have charged the whole thing on my credit card! Then I would of canceled the transaction.
I would have gotten all m y money back including your stupid fees! He didn't say a word!
I informed him that I was going to e-mail my friends and give them a heads up on this stores policy, as they don't tell you about all the little caveats.

Scott Shepherd
05-04-2009, 4:47 PM
I had almost that exact experience, so I don't doubt it's true, except mine was with a camera and detailed in a previous post.

The thing that came up in that last thread was that someone told me it was my fault because all the info was on the back of the receipt. Well, last time I checked, they didn't give you the receipt until the item was bought. So how am I supposed to read the policy on the back of the receipt before I buy it if you don't give me the receipt until after I buy it, at which time, it's too late.

I'd like to meet the moron in a suit at corporate that thinks this is a great policy.

I had the same thing, the guy wanted to send me a gift card. That was after they threw me out of the store. He wanted me to go back to the store they threw me out of and shop some more. Yeah........don't think that's going to happen.

All I ever wanted was a decent discussion about it.

Robert Payne
05-04-2009, 4:50 PM
I agree that it is a punitive policy and should be clearly stated up front (which I am sure is rarely done). Apparently, BB instituted this policy because some customers were abusing an open return policy where they would take back any item within 30 days without question -- people use an item like a big screen TV for a specific event (like the Super Bowl) and then return it for a full refund. I'd hate to be an individual that received a gift that was purchased from Best Buy and wanted to return it!

I don't shop there any more because of this policy, because it penalizes good customers like you, too. Lowes has an open return policy -- if one uses it, do it honestly and don't abuse it!

Greg Cuetara
05-04-2009, 5:04 PM
The basic policy is that if you open up the item and use it it is not new anymore. Have you ever seen the open box table which is 15% off. If you do buy something as long as the box is not opened or the item used you will get 100% of your money back it is only if you use it you have to pay a 15% fee. You can correct me if I am wrong here. If you want to play with something they have floor models for that and you can play with them. If the floor models don't work ask them to make one work for you or you won't buy it.

I don't really like BB at all and do not normally shop there. It is very reasonable though that if you open something up and use it it is not new anymore and can not be sold as new. If you were looking on a shelf of items, and were spending hundreds of dollars on the item, would you pick any box or would you pick the box which looked to be in the best condition. Would you overlook a box which was ripped open? How would you feel if you got home and all the cables were not factory packaged?

I dont' agree with the whole 7-10 day thing. It is your money and you shoudl get it back immediately. No reason to not pay with a card for big purchases...not only for the protection but also because it will be credited immediately back to you if you do return something.

Tom Veatch
05-04-2009, 5:07 PM
The Best Buy store closest to me has fairly prominent signs posted that detail the return/restocking fee policy and the category of items covered by the policy. Everyone entering the store has ample opportunity to become aware of the policy prior to making any purchases.

And as was suggested, almost every purchase I make over a couple of dollars or so is made with a credit card - at Best Buy, and elsewhere.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-04-2009, 5:18 PM
AMEX Don't leave home without it.

If they charge you the restocking fee you can let them take it out of the cost and then challenge that with AMEX.

If 15% fee is not in the original documentation (receipt or other document of the transaction) you win.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-04-2009, 5:27 PM
I never understood this kind of a policy but it's more common than most folks realize.

Then one day as I was shopping at HD for a new carpet cleaner, another customer recommended that I buy it.....use it and return it and it would not cost me anything but the detergents and anti-sudsing agent.

Then I understood why stores do that!

Joe Pelonio
05-04-2009, 5:46 PM
Costco changed their return policy to 90 days on electronics for a different reason. People were returning items like big-screen Plasma/LCD TVs when
they saw newer, better models come out, often cheaper too as the competition increased.

Paul Ryan
05-04-2009, 7:32 PM
Their return policies are one of the reasons I quite shopping there years ago. The only time I go in their store is if it is for something small and stuip and if I need it ASAP, like a mouse quites or something. You can but everything they sell much cheaper online. Normally I will buy locally even if it costs a few bucks more because you cant be local service. However in Best Buy's case the service is horse manure to start with an only gets worse from there. My adivce only buy from best buy if you have to have it right now and they are the only place that sell it. Otherwise STAY CLEAR, they are a horible horible business.

Dave Lehnert
05-04-2009, 9:20 PM
The restocking fee is nothing new.

Grizzly has a 10% restocking fee on any returns.
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2009/Main/659

Sears has a restocking fee if used.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/nb_10153_12608_NB_CSreturns?adCell=W4

This is Target.
Restocking Fees: Some items are subject to a 15% restocking fee, including camcorders, digital cameras, portable DVD players and portable electronics. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/Restocking%20Fees:%20Some%20items%20are%20subject% 20to%20a%2015%%20restocking%20fee,%20including%20c amcorders,%20digital%20cameras,%20portable%20DVD%2 0players%20and%20portable%20electronics.)

This is just the ones I can think of right now.

This was a survey taken in New York.
"found that 44 percent of stores surveyed by her office charge restocking fees on returns."

I work in retail and can tell you returns are horrible right now. We do not have a restocking fee.
About a month ago people started returning portable heaters. I bet we got 100 or more returned.
I can list many items we would take back in returns with no receipt. We would take 50 back in returns for a year but only sold 20-30.
Right now you need a receipt or your out of luck.

Dick Strauss
05-04-2009, 9:30 PM
My $0.02...If it is not posted prominently within the store where you would see it, it doesn't matter if they print it on the front or back of the receipt. You had no knowledge of their policy BEFORE the transaction so the "contract" is void! For it to be an enforceable contract, both parties must be privy the the T&Cs at the time of the transaction.

Matt Meiser
05-04-2009, 9:30 PM
A lot of places can now look stuff up if you paid by CC and get a duplicate reciept for you. Menards even has a kiosk so you can find your own. Its really nice at places like that where odds are something you buy in the course of a project (or at least in the course of my home projects) will need to be exchanged or returned. Though it does concern me what data from my card they are storing in their database. And its a pain remembering whether we used my card or my wife's card, credit or debit.

I knew about Best Buy's 15% policy. Its why they wouldn't sell me a camera and a camera case in one transaction--they couldn't dismount the display from the security thing because it was against policy. And they woudn't open the camera we were buying because it would break the magic seal. I had to open it myself. But not until I paid and I wasn't allowed to do it in the store. Also why we bought the same camera at Costco.com. And a TV at Costco. And my daughter's DS at Toys R Us. But hey, its policy...

Dick, I bet if someone really fought it they could win in court, because you are right that they never inform people of that policy. It is displayed on a giant poster, but at the return desk where you would be very unlikely to see it. And I bet if someone did win, they'd start making you sign something on the electronic tablet acknowledging the policy.

Dick Strauss
05-04-2009, 10:22 PM
I did some reserach and found this statement straight from the man in charge... Richard Cordray (Ohio Attorney General) stated...

"Under Ohio Law, it is illegal to advertise a sale without listing any specific limitations, if they exist....Delivery charges, restocking fees, or handling fees must also be disclosed. Additonal charges, terms and conditions, or limited times of the sale must be disclosed....All disclosures must be clear and conspicuous....It is not acceptable for it to only be printed on the receipt since the purchase has already been made."

Scott Shepherd
05-05-2009, 9:00 AM
Dave, I have zero issues with a company charging a restocking charge. I completely understand that. When it's my fault. However, if YOUR sales rep tells me this new nifty camera will shoot 5 frames per second and I get it home, open the box and the directions say "2 frames per second", then it's their fault.

If I ask for help in getting a cable for my printer, and you tell me which one I should buy, I get it home and it's the wrong one, then it's their fault.

If I open a box and the item doesn't work out of the box and I want to bring it back any get a different model, that's not my fault.

If they would modify their policy to have a tiny bit of flexibility in it for instances like I mentioned, then they would be in excellent shape. But they won't budge even when they are in the wrong.

Jerome Hanby
05-05-2009, 9:51 AM
Lowes has an open return policy -- if one uses it, do it honestly and don't abuse it!

Boy, you have that right. I bought an electric lawn mower from Lowes. Used it for about two months and decided I was killing myself trying to mow with it and bought a gas powered one. My wife packed up the electric, headed to Lowes, and gave them an earful about the product's short comings. They gave her a full refund!

Dave Lehnert
05-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Dave, I have zero issues with a company charging a restocking charge. I completely understand that. When it's my fault. However, if YOUR sales rep tells me this new nifty camera will shoot 5 frames per second and I get it home, open the box and the directions say "2 frames per second", then it's their fault.

If I ask for help in getting a cable for my printer, and you tell me which one I should buy, I get it home and it's the wrong one, then it's their fault.

If I open a box and the item doesn't work out of the box and I want to bring it back any get a different model, that's not my fault.

If they would modify their policy to have a tiny bit of flexibility in it for instances like I mentioned, then they would be in excellent shape. But they won't budge even when they are in the wrong.

I myself will not buy from a store with a restocking fee.
The only problem with making exceptions to the rule. If a person wants to return something EVERYONE will give the story of bad info by a sales staff. No way to check.
Work the service desk at a store and everyone who is trying a return without a receipt says "I got this as a gift" EVERYONE! And they will be trying to return a bag of grass seed.:D

Pat Germain
05-05-2009, 10:57 PM
I can see both sides of the issue. Last year I was in the return line at Lowes. In front of me a guy holding a Freud dado set. I had just bought the dado set and it worked great. Sensing a fraud, I asked the guy, "Did that dado not work for you?".

"I just didn't like it," was his answer. Right. In words, he used it for one project, then returned it. I wondered if it was going to be put back on the shelf as new.

When people blatantly abuse flexible policies, the flexibility will go away. As I understand it, restocking fees don't apply at most stores if you're exchanging an item; only when seeking a refund. But even then, it sure stinks when your returning the item for a valid reason.

Rich Konopka
05-09-2009, 12:38 PM
NEWEGG.COM

Absolutely the best to do business with.

Butch Edwards
05-09-2009, 1:34 PM
I never understood this kind of a policy but it's more common than most folks realize.

Then one day as I was shopping at HD for a new carpet cleaner, another customer recommended that I buy it.....use it and return it and it would not cost me anything but the detergents and anti-sudsing agent.

that's a sad statement of the mentality of people in this country. that's not a rare incident, but more frequent than imagined. it's as tho the theme is " get what you can" from anyone, anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised to see ALL business like Lowes'/HD/BB,etc changing their return policies to say" if item is broken/malfunctioning, return to the manufacturer for settlement".

Don Bullock
05-09-2009, 1:37 PM
A lot of places can now look stuff up if you paid by CC and get a duplicate reciept for you. Menards even has a kiosk so you can find your own. Its really nice at places like that where odds are something you buy in the course of a project (or at least in the course of my home projects) will need to be exchanged or returned. Though it does concern me what data from my card they are storing in their database. And its a pain remembering whether we used my card or my wife's card, credit or debit.

Matt, that's not the only thing stored in their computer. They also store a video image of the transaction at the cash register at stores that have cameras stationed at each register.

My wife bought two identical items at Lowe's one day. When she got home she discovered that the girl at the register charged her for three. When my wife went back to the store the manager typed in the receipt number and watched the whole transaction on a TV monitor. After viewing the tape he refunded her overpayment and apologized for the mistake.

Ben Rafael
05-10-2009, 10:54 AM

That's exactly why best buy does it. A common one is people buying big screen TVs for a super bowl party and then returning it.
Best Buy should ask people to sign the back of the receipt to acknowledge their policy.
I dont blame best buy; I blame the thieves who buy and use products knowing they are going to return it.

Scott Shepherd
05-10-2009, 7:12 PM
The problem that's constantly overlooked is that in any retail environment, people make mistakes. Sales people who aren't (and can't be expected to) trained on every single possible situation are out there trying to help. If they make a bad recommendation or just plan don't get the facts right, then there should be a mechanism to resolve that. It's not rocket science. It's easy to figure out who bought the tv the week before the superbowl. It's also easy to talk to someone and find out that they were misinformed by the sales staff.

A little bit of understanding and an attempt to resolve it would go a long way. Sure, they now have a product they have as a open box and they'll cut the price 10% and sell it. They are still selling it at a profit. Now, they'll help me find the right product so we can exchange or go up a model or two to get what I should have been sold in the first place. They'll make full price on that one.

In this case, it's their mistake, they resolved it, they sold a higher priced item, they took a 10% less profit on one item, but they retained a customer. What's the cost to get a new customer? $15? I'd bet it's a lot more than that. So everyone wins.

However, the current policy is that the customer loses. That's a stupid policy in my opinion.

If I treated my customers the way best buy treats theirs, I'd be out of business.

It's an easy problem to solve and it's nothing to do with people stealing, all retail has that. Lowes will take anything back at the drop of a hat. Are you telling me people don't take advantage of that? So how's Lowes manage to deal with it and BB can't?

Ben Rafael
05-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Lowes records your name on returns. People who abuse returns will get turned down eventually. Many retailers do this.

Scott Shepherd
05-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Lowes records your name on returns. People who abuse returns will get turned down eventually. Many retailers do this.

And so could BB.

Matt Bickford
05-11-2009, 4:28 PM
You won't get the money back with the credit card. No way. You don't deserve it either. I like restocking fees. It keeps the cost down. I wish HD and Lowes did the same thing.

Word to the wise: ask what the return policy is. Don't be a victim like the person in the story.

Greg Crawford
05-11-2009, 9:13 PM
Some time go into Best Buy and ask a sales clerk or cashier what their return policy is, or ask about the extended warranty. If you start asking specific questions, they usually don't know the answer, or they'll tell you something that's not true (I can't say their lying, since they probably don't know and just guess) . So, even if you did ask about the return policy, you may not be told the correct policy. I've been down that road on their extended warranty. I still can't figure out what it DOES cover! The literature in the store usually doesn't have the full "contract", either. Again, that's on the back of the reciept you get AFTER you pay.

Mike Henderson
05-11-2009, 10:56 PM
The reason a store offers the customer the ability to return merchandise is to counter a buying objection. The sales person tells the buyer to "Take it home. If you don't like it, bring it back and I'll give you your money back (or a store credit)." This seller then makes more sales and only a small amount of those goods ever come back.

So there's an advantage to the seller to offer a return policy - they sell more goods. Of course, nowdays, every store offers returns so it's not much of a differentiation any more.

A store can refuse returns, or make returns onerous, of course, but it will affect their ability to sell their products, especially since buyers have other stores which will accept returns. If the buyers value the ability to return goods, they'll adjust their buying habits accordingly.

Mike