PDA

View Full Version : Padauk and fading

Liz Wojtkieiwcz
05-04-2009, 3:42 PM
I have come across some beautiful, deep red-orange padauk for a project I'm building for my bedroom. My question is - what have people found to be the best way to retain this gorgeous color? I've seen advice ranging from using UV-blocking finish from Penofin to using a dye the same color as the wood before finishing.

If anyone has experience and/or success stories with padauk, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks! Liz

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-04-2009, 6:36 PM
Paduk will change color, but it only gets better.

I turned a hollow form with a Paduk lid. The inside remains the same beautiful color. However, the outside has turned the most beautiful burgandy almost the color of a good burgandy wine. Fantastic!

Just my humble opinion.

Bruce

Todd Burch
05-04-2009, 6:54 PM
The only way I know to keep paduk from turning color is to not cut the tree open.

Tony Bilello
05-04-2009, 7:09 PM
Just about all finishes now contain a certain amount of UV protection. Marine grade varnishes have more than non-marine grades. Personally, if my padouk got to a color I no longer wanted, I would just strip it, sand it and refinish it. That would be several years away.

Oak gets browner, Purple heart turns almost black. All woods will change color.

Lee DeRaud
05-04-2009, 9:11 PM
Paduk will change color, but it only gets better.

I turned a hollow form with a Paduk lid. The inside remains the same beautiful color. However, the outside has turned the most beautiful burgandy almost the color of a good burgandy wine. Fantastic!What he said. "Fading" is definitely not the word I'd use to describe the effect.

Art Mulder
05-04-2009, 9:57 PM
The only way I know to keep paduk from turning color is to not cut the tree open.

:D:p:D:p:D:p:D

I'm going to have to remember that line... It's true for purpleheart, walnut, and ... many others I'm sure.

Mike Cutler
05-05-2009, 5:12 AM
Liz

It doesn't fade, it gets darker. Bruce is correct about the burgundy color. It's beautiful. The reddish orange is kind of a transition. I had have a lot of boards that were the same color after sitting in the garage for a couple of years, but they lightened once I started milling them. They'll darken back up in time though.

It will take a UV blocker, and keep the finished piece out of direct sunlight, to retain the orange as long as possible. It will eventually darken though.

I have two, 7', 30" wide, 2" thick slabs that are being made into a table and a kitchen island. It is beautiful wood, and it is heavy.

Liz Wojtkieiwcz
05-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks all, I guess I'll play with some samples and leave them in the bedroom for a while to see what happens. I do love the deep orange as it really stands out against the background of the room which is primarily charcoal grey. But maybe the burgundy will work as well.

David DeCristoforo
05-09-2009, 12:04 PM
"The only way I know to keep paduk from turning color is to not cut the tree open."

All you have to do is suck all the air out of your house (to prevent oxidation) and paint all the windows black (to block sunlight) and your padouk will never change color! OK, I know... some wise guy is going to point out that under those conditions, you would not be able to see the wood anyway but you can't have everything.

Ben Abate
05-10-2009, 6:33 AM
My opinion is that sunlight will change the color. I have built a few pieces from it and the ones that I keep out of the direct sunlight retain most of the original color. Don't open your window blinds, I have to agree that I like the original orange color rather than the darker brown color.

Ben

Tony Bilello
05-10-2009, 9:45 AM
If you really want to keep that 'new' color, every 2 or 3 years, strip it and light sand and refinish it again. Use shellac or some other non-durable finish.