PDA

View Full Version : I could or couldn't care less? Which is it?

Scott Shepherd
05-04-2009, 3:10 PM
In an attempt to start a totally pointless thread, I've always said "I couldn't care less", because I thought that meant that it was impossible for me to care less about the topic.

However, I hear a lot of people say "I could care less". I even heard it on a radio program yesterday.

If you could care less, then it means you do care a little. If you do care a little, then it's kind of an odd thing to say, isn't it? Well, I care about it a little, but not enough to talk more about, rather than I couldn't care less, which means I don't care at all.

So could you care less, or couldn't you care less? Which one is it? ;)

Paul Fitzgerald
05-04-2009, 3:29 PM
I'm with you Scott. I couldn't care less. :D

Robert McGowen
05-04-2009, 3:30 PM
My totally pointless answer to this totally pointless thread is that I agree with you - couldn't care less.

Prashun Patel
05-04-2009, 3:35 PM
Couldn't.

This is a pet peeve of mine too. I also hate it when people say, "irregardless" and "throw cosh into the wind"

Paul Fitzgerald
05-04-2009, 3:37 PM
Couldn't.

This is a pet peeve of mine too. I also hate it when people say, "irregardless" and "throw cosh into the wind"

Or "mute point"...

Tom Veatch
05-04-2009, 3:39 PM
As far as the semantic content of the words is concerned, you're right. "I could care less" implies at least some amount of caring is present. But in common usage, especially when tone of voice is included, it's like saying, "Now, that's just great!" when you find you've cut that last piece of high dollar exotic hardwood an inch too short.

Jason Beam
05-04-2009, 3:39 PM
Couldn't.

And for the others who like to say "Ideal" when they mean "Idea", the world hears you ... do you listen to the world?

My latest is "Acrossed" or "Acrosst".

I'm hardly a saint when it comes to using the correct language. When it's pointed out to me, however, I will never EVER reply "You know what I mean!!!".

A desire for self-improvement garners much more respect than a lazy mouth.

Paul Fitzgerald
05-04-2009, 3:42 PM
As far as the semantic content of the words is concerted, you're right. "I could care less" implies at least some amount of caring is present. But in common usage, especially when tone of voice is included, it's like saying, "Now, that's just great!" when you find you've cut that last piece of high dollar exotic hardwood an inch too short.

Very interesting!

I've never heard the phrase "I could/couldn't care less" spoken with an inflection that would indicate sarcasm.

John Keeton
05-04-2009, 3:54 PM
Or "mute point"...I'm pretty sure that is the same as "moot point", but I just couldn't hear it!!

When it all comes down to it - "Here is a quarter - call someone who cares" seems to work for a lot of folks - particularly country music fans:D

Having grown up in Eastern Kentucky (yes, that is a formal designation of a particular region of Kentucky that has well earned capitalization!), colloqualisms are just a part of the colorful character of good folks. I never take them too seriously, and actually enjoy hearing some of them - even used a few in my time.

To the original post - I hear it both ways, but as Tom pointed out, "I could care less" implies at least some amount of caring is present - which usually is not the case when one hears that remark:rolleyes:

The one that probably does gripe me the most is "Whatever!!"

Jim O'Dell
05-04-2009, 4:25 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. :D I guess if you said you could care less, it would have to be done in a sarcastic tone to make sense. Jim.

David G Baker
05-04-2009, 4:30 PM
I could care less if I didn't care less because I don't care less because I really do want to care but I won't because I can't. :D

Brian Kent
05-04-2009, 4:43 PM
I appreciate the fact that a kind soul has charted the Caring Continuum:

http://incompetech.com/gallimaufry/care_less.html

As for regardless and irregardless, that's a whole nother issue.

Jerome Hanby
05-04-2009, 4:44 PM
I think that example is more of an Oxymoron (this mistake is great).

I think "I could care less" is just mental laziness.

As far as the semantic content of the words is concerted, you're right. "I could care less" implies at least some amount of caring is present. But in common usage, especially when tone of voice is included, it's like saying, "Now, that's just great!" when you find you've cut that last piece of high dollar exotic hardwood an inch too short.

Brian Effinger
05-04-2009, 5:06 PM
"Couldn't", although my mouth is usually a few steps behind my brain, so "could" sometimes come out.

The one that probably does gripe me the most is "Whatever!!"

For me it is "for sure". Like: "I'm not for sure about that." I just want to shake those people.

Steve Sawyer
05-04-2009, 5:08 PM
Boy, don't get me started - but then you did, didn't you?? :D

Yes, it is "I couldn't care less".

It's also "we need to FLESH that out", not "we need to FLUSH that out".

It's also "CUT and DRIED" or "CUT and TRY" with two comPLETELY different meanings and semantic contexts. For the former, finished, completed, not subject to revision or modification. For the latter, it has the sense of trial-and-error (which we as woodworkers know so well...:))

It's also "Same old same old" not the gazillion different variations I've heard over the years.

Joe Hardesty
05-04-2009, 5:15 PM
However, I hear a lot of people say "I could care less".

Remember, one half of all people are below average.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-04-2009, 5:15 PM
Add a few extra words and it'll make more sense.

I could not possibly care less than I do now about the grammatical advice from persons who end their sentences with prepositions and don't know that it is "a history" and not "an history."

Ken Fitzgerald
05-04-2009, 5:16 PM
I think it's a matter of punctuation if written or emphasis if spoken...

I could care less?

I couldn't care less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Padilla
05-04-2009, 5:50 PM
I could agree more.

I couldn't agree more.

Jason Roehl
05-04-2009, 7:45 PM
I'm with you, Scott. I believe "I couldn't care less" is the phrase with the appropriate meaning in most situations.

However, I have had occasion to say, "I could care less". That is when I don't care much about something, but someone is badgering me to care more about it, so I say, "I COULD care LESS"--as a threat. Similar to when you've told your kids "maybe" they could have/do something, but they keep bugging you, so you tell them that if they continue asking, the answer will be "no".

John Keeton
05-04-2009, 7:56 PM
.....that's a whole nother issue.Brian, please watch the spelling - it is "nuther" - just like it sounds!;)

Brian Kent
05-04-2009, 8:00 PM
Brian, please watch the spelling - it is "nuther" - just like it sounds!;)

Thanks John.

Sari I blue the spelling.

Brian

Jim Rimmer
05-04-2009, 10:29 PM
One of my pet peeves, and I hear on TV and radio a lot, is "return back", as in he is going to return back to the scene. You either return or you go back.

Jim Rimmer
05-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Add a few extra words and it'll make more sense.

I could not possibly care less than I do now about the grammatical advice from persons who end their sentences with prepositions and don't know that it is "a history" and not "an history."

I believe it was Churchill who said, after a clerk corrected his grammar in a letter for ending a sentence with a prepostion, "That is something which up with I will not put." ;)

Richard M. Wolfe
05-04-2009, 11:28 PM
My guess about saying "I could care less." is that each word is one syllable and each one can come out like whacks of a hammer hitting nails. I really can't say which one I use.....I'll have to catch myself in the act. "Couldn't" makes more sense.

Ben Franz
05-05-2009, 12:02 AM
Noo-KLEE-er not noo-CUE-ler :mad:.

Burt Alcantara
05-05-2009, 7:45 AM
Our language is brutalized everyday by irresponsible "journalists" and "editors" who either couldn't care less or, most likely are dumb as dirt.

My pet peeve is "the lions share." Lions don't share. The original intent of this phrase was not some, not most, but ALL. It's amazing to see people get up on TV and pointedly show how stupid they are. Not much better in printed media either.

I couldn't care less.

Burt

Belinda Barfield
05-05-2009, 8:30 AM
My vote goes for I couldn't care less.

I catch myself slipping and using a phrase I hear all the time, "I've got to (insert task here)."

I worked for a doctor who constantly used the phrase "continues to remain", as in "The patient continues to remain noncompliant." Drove me nuts.

Brian Kent
05-05-2009, 10:25 AM
I worked for a doctor who constantly used the phrase "continues to remain", as in "The patient continues to remain noncompliant." Drove me nuts.

That's from the Department of Redundancy Department (repetition department)!

Brian Brown
05-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Scott,

In regard to your
totally pointless thread, "I couldn't care less". :eek::D

Actually, I'm with Burt. Where did some of these journalists and media Dweebs get their training. My personal favorites are the misplaced modifiers. I used to keep a collection of these gems, until I realized I am paying for this stupidity. That really depressed me. :confused:

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-05-2009, 1:08 PM
My pet peeve is "the lions share." Lions don't share. The original intent of this phrase was not some, not most, but ALL.

Maybe it'd be some consolation to know that even Lions get interrupted by other carnivores who steal as much as they can while the lions are distracted.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-05-2009, 1:10 PM
Or "mute point"...

YAH~!! Every one I mean E-V-E-R-O-N-E knows it is "Moo point"

As in I don't cares what the cow says, she's gettin' milked anyhoo.

Larry Browning
05-05-2009, 1:35 PM
I could care less, but I don't.
or
I couldn't care less, but I do.

My pet peeve is the improper use of a double negative. As in, "I don't want no more chicken, I'm full!"

However, There is a proper use of a double negative. As, in "I am not doing nothing about the problem!" Meaning that I AM doing something about it, even though you may think I am doing nothing.

Clifford Mescher
05-05-2009, 2:26 PM
Noo-KLEE-er not noo-CUE-ler :mad:.
I always liked noo-klee-er :rolleyes::) Clifford.

Stephen Edwards
05-06-2009, 7:09 AM
The "correct" wording is: "I couldn't care less". However, it doesn't matter to me which way a person says it. I know what they mean, either way.

Personally, I find the regional dialects and colloqualisms in our country to be very interesting and colorful, as Mr. Keeton pointed out.

It don't make no never mind to me iffin you say it one or 'nuther long as I unnerstand what yer talkin' 'bout!

Dennis Peacock
05-06-2009, 8:24 AM
Well I couldn't care less because I ain't got nern none. :D

Jim O'Dell
05-06-2009, 11:08 AM
My pet peeve is "the lions share." Lions don't share. The original intent of this phrase was not some, not most, but ALL. It's amazing to see people get up on TV and pointedly show how stupid they are. Not much better in printed media either.

I couldn't care less.

Burt

I think the spoken version of this could be confusing. If it is written properly as being "the lion's share", then it makes sense, and is the way I use it, because the lions don't share. Jim.

Jude Tuliszewski
05-06-2009, 7:34 PM
This one production manger (who had a two year degree and got the rest of his ed-ja-makation in the school of hard knocks but was put in charge of a jet engine repair facility) used to drive me crazy. He would say the physical year instead of the fiscal year when discussing budges :mad:. Another one is one I used.

John Fricke
05-06-2009, 9:47 PM
The most disturbing of all is when my wife say's "I don't care". I know darn well there ain't a grain a truth there. That woman has never lacked for an opinion on anything in her life.

Richard M. Wolfe
05-06-2009, 10:04 PM
I meant to comment on a word woodworkers seem to use constantly - "up". You cut it "up". You saw it "up". You fix it "up". On and on.

Carlos Alden
05-06-2009, 11:21 PM
I believe it was Churchill who said, after a clerk corrected his grammar in a letter for ending a sentence with a prepostion, "That is something which up with I will not put." ;)

That's like the old joke:

A prospective undergrad visitor was on the Harvard campus and asked a passing student: "Excuse me, can you tell me where the library is at?"

To which the student replied: "It is that large building right there. And, ahem, by the way, at Harvard we don't end a sentence with a preposition."

The visitor replied: "Okay - Can you tell me where the library is at!" :)

Carlos

Danny Thompson
05-07-2009, 10:44 AM
. . . Lions don't share. The original intent of this phrase was not some, not most, but ALL . . .

Don't forget the hyenas.

Brad Wood
05-07-2009, 12:02 PM
I didn't think I could care less about this thread, but I find myself at the end having read the lion share of the posts... and I got nuthin to show fer it

ya know - that whole "physical" vs "fiscal" post gave me a giggle... I had a friend that told me he was going in for a fiscal. I said "huh", he said "a fiscal", I said "huh" again, and then he said he was going to the Dr. .... thats when I started laughing at him... but I wasn't too hard on him, English was his second language (it made for good laughs though)

Belinda Barfield
05-07-2009, 1:08 PM
Speaking of laughs, and veering off on a tangent here, I'll share one that made me say "What???"

One of my shop guys was attempting to prove he is more intelligent than me. While providing an unsolicited lecture - I don't remember the topic - he pointed out that a particular action would negatively affect the "sexual integrity" of a piece of stone. I said, "Pardon me?", and he repeated it again. :eek: I still laugh every time I think about it.

Ken Werner
05-07-2009, 1:10 PM
Glad I saw Dennis' edit note. I reread this joke about 5 times, trying to figure out the punch line.

A prospective undergrad visitor was on the Harvard campus and asked a passing student: "Excuse me, can you tell me where the library is at?"

To which the student replied: "It is that large building right there. And, ahem, by the way, at Harvard we don't end a sentence with a preposition."

Carlos

Tim Thomas
05-07-2009, 1:39 PM
Usually I couldn't care less, but there is one verbal misstep that I have heard several people use lately.

"...for all intensive purposes..."

Seriously? My manager used this in a meeting the other day and it was all I could do not to laugh in his face.

Larry Browning
05-07-2009, 2:32 PM

Carlos
Well, I guess I am not Harvard material, I don't get it. Did he misunderstand the meaning of preposition?:confused:

Larry Browning
05-07-2009, 2:33 PM
Usually I couldn't care less, but there is one verbal misstep that I have heard several people use lately.

"...for all intensive purposes..."

Seriously? My manager used this in a meeting the other day and it was all I could do not to laugh in his face.

That's a good one! I have heard people say that as well.

Belinda Barfield
05-07-2009, 2:43 PM
Well, I guess I am not Harvard material, I don't get it. Did he misunderstand the meaning of preposition?:confused:

"Okay, can you tell me where the library is at, Smarty-pants?"

Dennis edited out the profanity, but didn't fill in the blank.

Chris Padilla
05-07-2009, 3:25 PM
Our language is brutalized everyday by irresponsible "journalists" and "editors" who either couldn't care less or, most likely are dumb as dirt.

I couldn't care less.

Burt

English, in general, is a very difficult language to fully master. My wife is European so I have seen it from her point of view.

Carlos Alden
05-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Yikes, sorry about the joke. I thought I had disguised the profanity adequately (replaced "ss" with "$$".) Without it the joke doesn't make sense.:o

Thanks to Belinda to clarifying it by replacing the word with "smartypants!"

Carlos