PDA

View Full Version : Shop Made TS Alignment Tool

glenn bradley
05-04-2009, 2:53 PM
I'm home sick today but I did manage to mill a couple pieces of scrap to make this handy little guy from Woodsmith Vol 30 / No 179.

Chris Padilla
05-04-2009, 4:14 PM
Nice work, Glenn! What kind of wood is that? Oak?

glenn bradley
05-04-2009, 4:21 PM
That is an unknown hardwood that entered my shop as a skids off of some pallets. LOML brings me any decent looking fodder that shows at the docks at her work in an international distribution center for a high tech outfit. She has found some odd-looking stuff.

It is tighter than oak, machines like maple but is not; I do not know the species. I have several sticks of it (complete with nail holes) that I am able to get a usable piece or two out of now and again. I have even been able to glue up small panels for gift box lids from some of it and of course, the price is right ;-)

Chris Padilla
05-04-2009, 4:23 PM
I have to admit, it did not really look like oak (or ash)...too many specs for maple...so I was going to guess birch or beech next. :D

Bill Huber
05-04-2009, 4:31 PM
That really looks good, now the way I look at it if you were so sick you couldn't go to work then how can you work in the shop...:D

It looks like there is a brass insert in the end for the DI, is that true?

Bill Houghton
05-04-2009, 4:40 PM
That really looks good, now the way I look at it if you were so sick you couldn't go to work then how can you work in the shop...:D

Obviously, Glenn was concerned that he might have swine flu and was following public health guidelines.

glenn bradley
05-04-2009, 10:13 PM
As to the wood, it looks a lot like the hardwood that they make cheap-o furniture out of for target and the like :confused:

It looks like there is a brass insert in the end for the DI, is that true?

Yes, there is. I use a nut driver to tighten (ever so lightly) the short bolt to hold the headpiece at a given angle.

Obviously, Glenn was concerned that he might have swine flu and was following public health guidelines.

I am sure I read a government advisory that sawdust lining the surface of your skin was a proven inhibitor to airborne swine flu virus.

Actually, I just got back from the doc awhile ago and it is just the plain ole flu. How undramatic.

Bruce Wrenn
05-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Nice job. I have made several of those. I used 8-32 X 1/2", nylon tipped set screws from Reid Supply to adjust slack out for snug fit into miter slots. For miter slot pieces, I use a wide board, and dado it to fit cross member that holds DI. Then I rip off pieces as needed. For DI pieces, I run a long piece of stock, and cut it to length. I did put some super glue under the head of the 1/4-20 FH screw. This prevents it from turning. I also wet the inside of the threaded hole for the DI screw with super glue to harden the holes. That is a trick I learned from "pen turners."

Tony Bilello
05-04-2009, 11:39 PM
I made one very similar to that. I bought the gage at Harbor Freight for just a few bucks. It works incredibly well. I also made a gage using their Digital Calipers. They go on sale sometimes for under $10.

Chuck Isaacson
05-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Looks like a fun little project. I think that when I get my shop put together I will try to knock one of those out. Thanks for the idea.

Chuck

Paul Johnstone
05-05-2009, 10:00 AM
awesome idea glenn, thanks for all the pictures.