PDA

View Full Version : Molding Machine Dilemma...

Steven Valentine
05-04-2009, 1:58 PM
Hey guys...here's my dilemma.

I can either purchase a "new" Shop Fox molding machine (W1812) for $1320 plus free shipping and wait until the first week of June for delivery, OR I have a good line on a used Williams and Hussey (non-variable speed model) for $1000, that I can pick up now. The Shop Fox specs seem to show some improvements over their previous clone machine, but it is not available as of yet, so I can't really test one out to see the differences myself. Timing on this purchase isn't that critical, but I still cannot decide which to go with. I am also not particularly concerned with resale value. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Steven

Richard McComas
05-04-2009, 2:57 PM
Hey guys...here's my dilemma.

I can either purchase a "new" Shop Fox molding machine (W1812) for $1320 plus free shipping and wait until the first week of June for delivery, OR I have a good line on a used Williams and Hussey (non-variable speed model) for $1000, that I can pick up now. The Shop Fox specs seem to show some improvements over their previous clone machine, but it is not available as of yet, so I can't really test one out to see the differences myself. Timing on this purchase isn't that critical, but I still cannot decide which to go with. I am also not particularly concerned with resale value. Your thoughts are appreciated.

StevenMight be something of interest to you in this thread.

William M Johnson
05-04-2009, 3:50 PM
I have the old style shop fox and am very happy with it. Having said that I would hold out for the new one vs. the W&H. First the variable speed is nice. Second and most important - it appears in pictures that the fences ride in a groove making adjustment much easier. With the old style the guides were clamped to the table with small C clamps. PITA

I am considering putting my table on my Bridgeport and milling some slots:)

Bill

David Shoemaker
05-04-2009, 3:58 PM
You don't live in CA do you? I have a 5HP Craftsman (Foley/Belsaw) planer / molder that I am looking to part with...

Steven Valentine
05-04-2009, 4:18 PM
Sorry, I can't afford those CA taxes...kidding there...I live in North Carolina.

Steven Valentine
05-04-2009, 10:50 PM
It sounds so far like I will be better off sticking with the new machine, and waiting a little longer to get it. I'm afraid that I won't be happy without the variable speed. From pics of the W1812, it also looks like a pretty good overhaul of the Shop Fox machine.

Has anyone weighed in yet as to whether the multi-pass works on the Shop Fox? Can't seem to find info on this so far.