PDA

View Full Version : Back Order Blues....

Jerry Murray
05-04-2009, 1:55 PM
Ok so I am progressing at a rapid pace in putting tofgether my small shop.

My Jet 10" band saw arrived the other day, and wouldn't you kbnow it, our heat pump/furnace blower went out at the same time :mad:

To compund matters my shop area is very small, so I decided to build a set of vertical shelves (24"X24"X72"tall) for storage. Two days ago you'd have sworn that a hand grenade went off in my basement.

This weekend I finished the shelves (mighty nice I might add) and the repair guy for the heat pump finished up ($700+ :mad::mad::mad:)

Now I have a Rockler table top router which will go on my Workmate...this unit is on back-order until May 25th! I kinda ticked off about that as Rockler makes the main part of their business from router tops right?

I'm wondering if I should cancel the order and get something else or sit tight for a few weeks.

What do you think?

Matt Day
05-04-2009, 2:24 PM
It's your call as to wait or not. If it were me, I'd try to figure out how much I'd actually use the tool between now and the potential delivery date. But I also can't seem to wait for the delivery man and have to have it!

Rockler's main business surely isn't focused on router table tops. They sell all kinds of things for the home woodworker.

Jerry Murray
05-04-2009, 6:40 PM
I decided to call Rockler and cancel my back order. I bought a MLCS top. Maybe I'll not like the MLCS as much as the Rockler, but I can't stand the thought of just sitting around til June waiting.

Steven Valentine
05-04-2009, 11:22 PM
I just started another house full of cabinets, and I went to place an order with Rockler, and HALF of the items were on backorder. I just went elsewhere too...

In times like these, customer service is more important than ever. If I wanted crap customer service, I'd go ask the folks at Lowe's or Home Depot. They pretty much never know what they are talking about anyway.

Philip Johnson
05-05-2009, 4:54 AM
Yes tell me about it I was going to order a planer, jointer, shaper and dust collector from grizzly and everything was out of stock,

Jerry Murray
05-05-2009, 12:41 PM
What these guys don't realize is that for the most part a tool will last a long time, so going someplace else takes them out of my shop for a while.