PDA

View Full Version : stupid question? about lee valley

Justin Cavender
05-04-2009, 12:17 PM
does lee valley ever run sales? i am lusting after a lee valley bevel up smoother but I don't know if they ever run sales because the way my luck with that stuff is I buy it then it goes on sale just wondering?

Matt Wilson
05-04-2009, 12:29 PM
does lee valley ever run sales? i am lusting after a lee valley bevel up smoother but I don't know if they ever run sales because the way my luck with that stuff is I buy it then it goes on sale just wondering?

Nope, they do not. New tools tend to have a lower special price for a month or so, but after that the price is the price. Price integrity is great, means you can buy with out feeling burned later.

Justin Cavender
05-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Well then I guess I will quit waiting because almost every time I buy a new tool it goes on sale within a month for 20 to 30 % I guess i have bad timing.

Derek Hansen
05-04-2009, 12:34 PM
At the woodworking shows, they do 10% off and free shipping for orders placed at the show.

Chris Friesen
05-04-2009, 12:36 PM
One thing that others haven't mentioned...if you buy something and they drop the price shortly after, they will mail you a refund for the difference.

Scott Stafford
05-04-2009, 12:38 PM

In my humble opinion, they have what is better than a sale. They have resale value. If you check out eBay you'll find that used Veritas BU planes almost always sell within 20% of their retail price; often times within 10%.

A poster on another forum mused that Lie-Nielsen planes only cost $38. That was the price that he calculated to be the average between what the tool cost new and what they sold for used on eBay. So if you had a plane for five years and kept it clean, you could expect to lose $38. A fun way to look at it and justify owning one. I think LV planes are much the same.

Scott in Montana

Tristan Raymond
05-04-2009, 1:08 PM
They do offer free shipping a few times a year. It's a dangerous promotion as it seems unwise to not buy something...

glenn bradley
05-04-2009, 3:04 PM
I have had the experience of waffling over a plane long enough for it to go up $20 but I have not had the experience of buying one and then seeing it on sale ;-) Now, at the WWing show yesterday they offered 10% off, no tax and free shipping . . . I failed to control myself.

Justin Cavender
05-04-2009, 3:33 PM
The nearest one coming my way is about 300 miles away 10% of 219 not worth the gas maybe i could call them and plead my case. I wish I could make it to one of those shows

Ron Petley
05-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Well they will have introductry prices which are lower than the regular price on some new products, could that be a sale.
If you go to the store they have a shelf with things on sale at a greatly reduced price. And they have had once, that I know of a sale for a week, which was a extra room set up full of stuff on sale. I guess other than the introductry pricing you would have to go to the store to get ant sales items. :(
I am lucky a store is close to my place and it is easy to stop by now and again. :D Cheers Ron.

Ben Rafael
05-06-2009, 10:15 AM
I've seen Lee Valley stuff go on sale (rarely) from other vendors. But nobody sells their complete catalog so it would be unlikely that you'd find what you are looking for.

Danny Burns
05-06-2009, 3:22 PM
When you go to the store they will have a sale shelf, but it is mostly scratch n' dent items, or returns, and so it is unpredictable.
It is though fun to check-out.

I figure that mailing probably over a million catalogs would leave very little room to play around with pricing.

So if you need to find a sale try CraigList, garage/yard sales, and EBay as they are probably your best bet.

Rob Lee
05-07-2009, 7:00 PM
Hi Justin -

Email me ...rlee@leevalley.com ...

Cheers -

Rob
(stuck in Las Vegas....the "other LV" )

Nicholas Lile
09-10-2013, 9:45 AM
Hello All,

I know this is an older post, but I was wondering if anyone has seen any update on this. I can't recall them ever having a sale except for an individual item ever now and then. Do they ever do something like a 10% off or free shipping?

Thanks!

Lile

Hilton Ralphs
09-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Yes, free shipping about four times a year.

They do have sales, but it's almost always clearance items (that no-one else wants). In other words, it's unlikely to see a sale on a PM-V11 chisel any time soon.

Here is the link (http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?cat=1&p=44047)to the sales page in the Tools section.

Maurice Ungaro
09-10-2013, 5:17 PM
Actually, Rob does put some "seconds" on sale once a year. I beleive it may be coming up this Fall. Last year, I picked up a Large Shoulder Plane and a BU Jack Plane. I think the prices I paid were about 25% to 30% off of full retail. When this sale does go on, DO NOT HESITATE. Items go quick.

As for the "seconds" label - I'd be hard pressed to find what whas wrong with my two- just wasn't up to perfection for LV!

Chris Griggs
09-10-2013, 5:38 PM
Actually, Rob does put some "seconds" on sale once a year. I beleive it may be coming up this Fall. Last year, I picked up a Large Shoulder Plane and a BU Jack Plane. I think the prices I paid were about 25% to 30% off of full retail. When this sale does go on, DO NOT HESITATE. Items go quick.

As for the "seconds" label - I'd be hard pressed to find what whas wrong with my two- just wasn't up to perfection for LV!

The past 2 years they put them on on cyber Monday (1st Monday after Thanksgiving). I have a couple "seconds". Usually what makes it a 2nd is a tiny (and I mean tiny) bubble in the casting. I did find one on one of my seconds, but typically the cannot be found. It looks like a single pin sized black dot, can barely be seen, and had no impact on performance. You'll likely mark it up more the first time you use it. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for the Cyber Monday sale again this year...when they do have offer them they are a great deal. Don't hold you breath though...its not often they offer them, and remember, from their perspective the goal is to not have any to offer in the first place.

Maurice Ungaro
09-10-2013, 6:35 PM
Chris, thanks for reminding me of the name and the day of the sale! As for LV's goal, you are so correct that they try NOT to have any seconds. What a great company.

lowell holmes
09-12-2013, 8:52 AM
They have a free shipping event going today!