PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Plaque Blanks

Casey Wigginton
05-04-2009, 11:11 AM
What do you guys use for wooden plaque blanks to engrave words, poems, religious sayings, etc on?
Dollar Days has a sale right now on their wood rectangular plaques with beveled edges. They measure 7 1/4" x 5 1/4" x 3/8", and are going for $0.49 each. You have to buy at least 144 at a time. If you look on retailmenot.com and put in dollardays.com, you can find a 10% off coupon for your order. They mailed me a free shipping coupon, but I don't know if it's combinable. I don't know if this will be a suitable surface for laser engraving, but it would offer plenty of margin if you could cut on these things. What do you think? Are there other good suppliers of plaques like this, or do you just make your own? I don't have any good way to bevel the edges if i were to cut my own.

Here's the link to the item: http://www.dollardays.com/i327768-wholesale-wooden-rectangle.html

Mike Null
05-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Casey

You get what you pay for.

Why don't you Google awards suppliers or take a look at JDS Industries.

Dan Hintz
05-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Even if they don't engrave well, you can color fill, and they'll probably take a good stain and can be used as backer plates for awards of various types. For $75, it's probably worth the purchase either way.

Rodne Gold
05-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Is it actual wood or supawood or some sort of pine or ply?
The pic is rather indistinct - wooden can mean anything....
I found the best suppliers of plauqes in smaller qtys were small local joinery shops or retired guys doing woodwork in their garages or sheds , often they were glad to uses odd pieces and or offcuts and often gave us complimentary refferals for wood engraving
Nowdays we import from China , but we use big qtys of stock sizes...still use small joinery places for custom work and bases , rare woods , shaped stuff and so on , used to do a bit in house but it wasnt worth the effort.

Laura Zaruba
05-04-2009, 1:45 PM
I'm a big fan of Studio Workshop. They have a nice variety of quality wood products (plaques, sheets, etc.) at reasonable prices. Plus, they are great people to work with - fast & friendly service.

~Laura :-)

Aleta Allen
05-04-2009, 1:59 PM
Casey,

I bought some wood coasters from here a few years ago. Cheap buy, BUT, a good majority of them were warped.:(

The wood was wood, but thin and too cheap for me to sell.

Let us know if you buy some, as I was wondering about these too. But after last time, don't want to take a chance if I can't see it in my hand!

Good luck.

Aleta

Mark Plotkin
05-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Al at www.smoke-wood.com (http://www.smoke-wood.com) has always taken care of my needs. Good selection, prices and quality. I normally keep a good supply on hand but last week, I needed a RUSH on a 12 x 16 alder plaque. Al came through no problem.