PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable FN250C Air Gun Question

eric phelps
05-04-2009, 10:05 AM
I started using this new gun using the 2" fasteners supplied with the purchase on some 1/2" exterior hardboard panel; just great! It's fast, I'm not, and at the correct pressure shoots the fastener perfectly. My question is, and their Tech Support number has been of no help, at the local Home Depot, I can buy a box of the 2 & 1/2" fasteners, 16ga as required, that state on the box 'Galvanized, not for exterior use', and, 'Use on these models, FN250B etc'. First, why would it say 'galvanized not approved for exterior use'?, and, since the model previous to mine was the FN250B, could it be that the box printing simply hasn't caught up to the current model I have, FN250C? Thanks much for your thoughts.

Louis Brandt
05-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Eric,

I'm sure that what you suggested is correct, that the box printing just hasn't caught up with the newer model, the FN250C. The "C" model is supposed to be oilless, whereas the "B" model required oil. As a matter of fact, I just bought myself the same FN250C nailer yesterday at Home Depot, but I haven't used it yet. You said that it shoots the fastener correctly at the correct pressure. Can you tell me what pressure that was?

Louis

eric phelps
05-05-2009, 6:06 PM
Hello Louis - I'm going ahead to buy a box of those Porter Cable 2&1/2 galvanized fasteners; there doesn't seem to be any other choice or option. After doing their compressor 15 minute break-in, I set the pressure at 80psi for my opening salvo of 2' fasteners into 1/2" exterior hardboard over 2x6 framing. The heads set just below surface, so I'll use that as my general guide for that activity. When I move to the 3/4 RS trim boards with 2&1/2 fasteners I may have to bump it up a bit. So far I'd give this little Porter Cable combo top marks, and with my aged arm, all those #8 galvanized I'm avoiding, it's a pleasure. Hope you enjoy yours. Thanks