PDA

View Full Version : Wood shop floor finish...

Peter Scoma
05-04-2009, 12:56 AM
So I finished my shop floor with 2.25 x 3/4 oak flooring a while ago and need to stop being so lazy and get a finish down. I want to keep the floor light in color but as well protected as a wood floor in a workshop can be. Granted rolling machinery around will probably mar the floor but I'm ok with that, its a shop. From what I have read, polyurethane seems to be the standard for topcoating a floor but I thought I might solicit some info here first.

Given the extended drying time and need for several coats I'm thinking of masking a line in the center of the shop, finishing one side first then removing the tape and feathering the edge. I'll move everything to the other side and repeat the process. Unless I tarp my finished basement and bring everything in there, I dont see any other way.

Curious as to thoughts regarding finishing. Particularly brands of poly if indicated.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Peter

Jimmy Coull
05-04-2009, 8:49 AM
Peter,
If you use waterborne poly urethane it won't last as long, but you can put down a coat every couple of hours, and it's easy touchup. I would go that way if I were you because it will take normal abuse real well and if you scratch it up, which you will, all you have to do is sand lightly and recoat.

I put four coats down in my house in one day, and we were working on it late that evening.

Good luck,
Jimmy

Scott T Smith
05-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Peter, my flooring contractors tell me that a type of poly called "moisture cure" is supposed to be one of the most durable poly's available. It's used in shopping malls or other high traffic areas.