PDA

View Full Version : Yonico Exclusive Router Bits?

David Shoemaker
05-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Has anyone used router bits sold under the Yonico name on Ebay? Here is a link to one of their sets:

They priced really low which makes me suspicious. However they have a 100% feedback rating for over 6000 purchases and they only sell router bits. Will Ebay feedback doesn't tell you much about longevity, it does suggest that when someone opens the box they don't see poor quality visible to the eye like pitting.

Anyway, if anyone has purchases there bits, I'd love to know what your experience is.

Thanks.

scott spencer
05-04-2009, 5:07 AM
Hi David - I'm not familiar with these bits, they might be fine but they're an unknown. There is some inherent risks with router bits spinning at 20K rpms....carbide can separate from the shank and becomes a projectile. It's far more likely to happen with cheaper bits than premium bits. Add to that the fact that there are many well proven inexpensive router bit alternatives, plus many 66 piece sets are chocked full of near duplicate profiles (ie: 6 roundovers, 6 straights, 5 coves, 4 chamfers, etc.)

My point being that I'd rather spend the same amount of money on well known well proven bits even if I get fewer bits. There are decent quality import bits from Holbren, MLCS, Woodline, Woodcraft (now called Woodriver), Price Cutter, and Grizzly. In fact, my tendency is to buy the premium bits from Infinity, Whiteside, Eagle America, Freud, or CMT.

David Shoemaker
05-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks, Scott. That is good advice, particularly about the actual versus perceived benefits of large bit sets.

Also, I don't want people to think I was linking to Ebay as a marketing attempt. I don't have any interest in the sale of these bits. I am interested in seeing if anyone has bought them and what your experience has been with them. The only reviews I have found through Google so far have been one thread on an Australian forum.

Thanks!