PDA

View Full Version : Jet Xacta Deluxe & Shark Guard Question

Jerry Kim
05-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Hello folks. Just wondering if there is anybody out there using an Xacta Deluxe saw and the Sharkguard. Lee has the older regular Xacta model listed on his website but I thinhk that saw came with a splitter vs the riving knife on the Deluxe models. I was just afraid that if I order the Sharkguard for the regular Xacta, it might not fit my saw.

I've read somewhere that the jet riving knives are identical to the PM2000. Is this true? If so, I was going to order a Sharkguard for the PM2000 and it should fit the Xacta Deluxe, no?

By the way, does anyone have any direct experience with the Penn State Industries TSGuard vs the Shark Guard? I kinda like the fact that TSGuard has no attachment to the table. I can keep the low-height riving knife on the saw at all times and the TSGuard can be moved in and out of the way depending on whether I am making full thickness or partial thickness cuts. The Sharkguard has to be removed for partial thickness cuts right?

Rod Sheridan
05-04-2009, 9:06 AM
Hi Jerry, I have an Excalibur guard so I can't comment on the Penn State guard.

I do however use the Excalibur 100% of the time, and really like it. The dust collection is great.

You are correct that the Shark Guard cannot be used for non through cuts, so for me it's a non starter. You can lose fingers with any blade elevation, and dado sets are very adept at catching anything and converting it to mulch.

My overarm guard saved my bacon once, it was one of those brain fade moments (aren't most table saw accidents?).

After I punched the guard with my hand, I realized that if it hadn't been there, my fingers would have been in the blade. A moment's carelessness would have left with a permanent reminder.

Buy and use an overarm guard and removable splitter, I have a Merlin splitter, easy to remove, just push on the latch, pull up on the splitter. I don't even have to remove the table insert to remove or install the splitter.

If safety features are convenient, you'll use them.....Rod.

Steve Sawyer
05-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Jerry - I use a Delta Uniguard with my Deluxe Xacta - an over-arm like the Excalibur. No dust collection, but to be honest I have very little problem with dust on the topside of the table unless I'm doing something like cutting finger joints - then I get a lap full of sawdust.

I do use a ZCI, but I've noticed very little sawdust above the table even when using a dado stack for which I have NOT yet made a set of ZCI's.

That said, everyone I know who uses a Sharkguard loves it - I just can't deal with a guard that has to be removed for every non-through cut. Having lost the tip of my left thumb to a table saw, I'm a bit afraid of table saws...

I should also mention that I retro-fitted the Uniguard with the original Xacta saw blade guard which I modified. You can see some pics of the result here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=107031&highlight=uni-guard).