PDA

View Full Version : Drying a hollow form??

Steve Frederick
05-03-2009, 6:57 PM
I just roughed my first HF from a green block of Box Elder..
I have it turned to a consistent 5/16", and the opening is about 1-1/4".
Should I take precautions to prevent mold on the inside? I'm thinking there is not much air circulation.
Thanks in advance!

Mike Stephens
05-03-2009, 7:38 PM
I have not yet turned a HF. But this is a question I have been thinking about and will be curious to see what the Creek has to say on it.

Steve Schlumpf
05-03-2009, 7:54 PM
Steve - you say you roughed out your hollow form and it is now at 5/16" thick. Normally you want to keep your rough outs at 10% of the diameter of the turning so you have enough wood left to turn it round again after it has dried and warped. You didn't give any dimensions for the piece so I hope you have enough wood left to work with.

Mold is possible but a lot has to do with the method you are using to dry your hollow form. If you use the DNA method - I doubt that you will have a problem with mold before you finish turn it. If you use the brown paper bag/wet shavings method then there is a good chance that the form may mold. Shouldn't be an issue as you are going to turn that portion of the hollow form away anyway when you finish turn it. You really should be more concerned with controlling the drying process and preventing any checking/cracks.

I wish you luck with everything and I look forward to seeing your first hollow form!

Bernie Weishapl
05-03-2009, 8:36 PM
I agree with Steve. I either turn mine to final thickness and use a oil finish which has worked well. If I rough them I leave them 10% and DNA soak them. I wrap them in brown grocery sack with a hole cut in the sack at the opening of the vase. Never have had a mold problem yet.

Steve Frederick
05-03-2009, 9:59 PM
The form is about 8" in diameter. May be closer to 3/8" thick.
I have it coated with endgrain sealer. (outside only)
It has been on the lathe, final shape, partially hollowed, sealed as is, for a couple of days.
Then I took a few hours to finish hollowing it out.
I guess I'll just have to see what happens.:rolleyes:
In the future, I'll rough to 10%, then dry.