PDA

View Full Version : Oak Burl set sanded and ready for finish

Jack Mincey
05-03-2009, 6:28 PM
Here is the large nested set I got from the oak burl earlier this year. There where 8 in this set, but the bottom bowl had to be turned off the bottom of the largest bowl and had no bark so it is still drying to be returned at a later date. The smaller set was cored from the back side of the burl and it to had a larger bowl cored from the bottom that has no bark. The hollow form is from the same burl as well. I also got some very nice slabs drying for turkey or crow call some time next year. I will post more pic's when I finish them. I just couldn't wait.
Thanks,
Jack
The largest bowl in this set is just over 17" in dia. sanded and ready for finish. They are turned mostly 3/16" exept one is down to 1/16" wall thickness. The third from the smallest almost moved to much before I decided to ruturn this set. It is very very thin.
http://usera.ImageCave.com/flyrod444/100_1415.JPG
This hollow form is 9" dia by just over 7" high and a month away from being returned and sanded.
http://usera.ImageCave.com/flyrod444/100_1416.JPG
Here are both sets and the hollow form setting on my work bench. The smalle nested set is ready for sanding.
http://usera.ImageCave.com/flyrod444/100_1418.JPG

Steve Frederick
05-03-2009, 6:50 PM
Hey, There's something wrong with your shop!
http://usera.imagecave.com/flyrod444/100_1418.JPG
There's no Dust/Chips!:D
The burl sets and hollow form look great!

Mark Norman
05-03-2009, 6:52 PM
Cant wait to see them with a finish on em Jack! Real nice burl, There are several oak trees near me with burls on em and they get scared when I drive by;)

Maria Alvarado
05-03-2009, 6:53 PM
Holy cow, Jack!
Those are really amazing, I look forward to seeing them with the finish on. That must have been a monster burl, you did a great job with it. How thick were your bowls when you cored them?

Tim Cleveland
05-03-2009, 7:25 PM
Those are incredible. Beautiful work, make sure to post some pics after you get a finish on them.

Tim

Bill Bolen
05-03-2009, 7:35 PM
Outstanding pieces all! Like the others I am anxious to see them with the finish completed. And a clean shop. What a novel idea!...Bill...

Toney Robertson
05-03-2009, 7:59 PM
Those look great.

Please post when finished.

Toney

Ryan Baker
05-03-2009, 8:20 PM
Fantastic pieces. The burl should look great with finish on it. You have some nice toys in your shop too.

Bernie Weishapl
05-03-2009, 8:26 PM
Jack that is some beautiful bowls and burl. Can't wait to see them finished.

Steve Schlumpf
05-03-2009, 8:27 PM
Beautiful work Jack! Looking forward to seeing everything finished! Really like the HF! So, did you take everything in to school for show & tell! Bet the kids would have loved it!

Robert McGowen
05-03-2009, 8:42 PM
Those sets of bowls are really something. Very nice job with the natural edge.

alex carey
05-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Looks like you did a great job with everything. That must have been a big burl to yield that much.

Jack Mincey
05-04-2009, 7:58 AM
Thanks everyone. The pin burl in this burl is unreal. I turned them between 3/4" for the smaller bowls to 1" for the larger bowls. This thickness is of great help when one returns the bowl. It gives you enough thickness to put a foot or bottom on the bowl. I returned them and let them move as they dried. The movement in the grain made for a lot of sanding to smooth out the wrinkles that formed. Steve, I cored this set with one of my classes. They enjoyed it very much.
Thanks agian,
Jack

Tom Bucanan
05-04-2009, 9:03 AM
So you cored them, let them dry, and then returned them?

Jack Mincey
05-04-2009, 9:46 AM
Tom,
Some times I can let a set dry before returning, but being oak this set started to move to much after a couple weeks and I had to return them before they moved out of round to much to return. I think it is best to return bark edged bowls green and let them move. It makes for some serious sanding, but on this set it is worth it. If one cored the set say on the largest bowl 1/2" thick you would not have enough wood to put a tendon on the bottom and return the bowl without chancing the creation of a nice funnel
Jack

Chris Rae
05-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Wow, that's some nice stuff! Great looking bowls and HF, and some great looking burl. Like the others, I'm looking forward to seeing them finished.

Greg Haugen
05-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Those are GORGEOUS pieces!! Well Done!!!

charlie knighton
05-04-2009, 10:34 AM
very nice, thanks for sharing

Nathan Hawkes
05-04-2009, 5:59 PM
Jack, nice work!! Were these cored with the McNaughton, or a OneWay Easy Core?? Just curious. I'm trying to get ahold of some jumbo cutters for the McNaughton to complete my set.

Jack Mincey
05-05-2009, 7:33 AM
Nathan,
Thanks, I used the oneway coring system on this set.
Jack