PDA

View Full Version : Sample

George Guadiane
05-03-2009, 6:02 PM
This is a color sample that I am sending to my clothing company customer...
I'm hoping it will get me some more orders and that they will be even more satisfied with my work.
The hollow form is colored with Feibing's leather dye. From the top - USMC Black - Dark Brown - Light Brown - Mahogany - British Tan - Natural color (cherry).
The beads are there just to delineate the colors.
I laminated three dry pieces of cherry together then turned them
10 1/4 inches high by 5 3/8 inches in diameter.
Finished to 400 then burnished with microcrystalline wax.
As Always, All Questions, Comments and/or Critiques Welcome.

Mauricio Ulloa
05-03-2009, 6:06 PM
Nice work! I haven't still tried any dying yet!

Bernie Weishapl
05-03-2009, 8:53 PM
Great looking piece George. Good luck and hope you sell a bunch.

David Winer
05-03-2009, 9:05 PM
Exceedingly nice staining with those leather dyes. I never seem to achieve such rich and vibrant colors with "regular" wood dyes.

Have you any information about the permanence (color fastness) of the Feibling products?

Reed Gray
05-03-2009, 9:19 PM
I used the Fiebing leather dies when I first started making footbags (Hacky Sacks to the non purists) in the late 70s and early 80s. They faded quickly in UV light, and the set wasn't good. A foot bag is kind of an untimate test for durability though.
robo hippy

Norm Koerner
05-03-2009, 11:15 PM
George, does the dye penetrate so deeply that you can turn the pieces after dyeing? If you dye after turning, how do you keep it off the light-colored separation pieces?

Thanks, Norm

George Guadiane
05-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Thank You, Everyone!

George, does the dye penetrate so deeply that you can turn the pieces after dyeing? If you dye after turning, how do you keep it off the light-colored separation pieces?

Thanks, Norm
The dye doesn't penetrate that much... I used a beading tool to make the beads.
First I marked up the spaces with the beading tool, just scoring the surface so that I knew the boundaries.
Then I applied and rubbed back each color, trying not to get over the lines.
After all of the dye was applied, I went back with the beading tool and took off enough wood to get below the color, leaving crisp lines of demarcation.
Hope that helps.

Jeff Nicol
05-04-2009, 5:48 AM
George, The shape of the HF with the beads and the different colors is very appealing to the eyes! Great job and good luck with sales.

Jeff

Gary Herrmann
05-04-2009, 7:29 AM
Very smart idea.