PDA

View Full Version : Searching for clamshell instructions

Dean Thomas
05-03-2009, 3:38 PM
Hey there,

I've seen a number of turned clamshell type boxes over the years. I want to make one for a young friend of mine, so I'm looking for instructions if anyone has them. Or if you've seen one in a book and can remember the name of the book, that would be great, too.

I'm thinking 4-5" in diameter and no more than 1-1/2" high. No hinges. I've seen them made with a friction fit and without. One I saw was described as a rosary box. Made from nicely figured wood, it will be a nice keepsake for this young lady.

Hoping for at least some sort of working plan. The ones I've seen are different from other boxes, so the working order might also be different. Hoping for help! :)

Bill O'Conner
05-03-2009, 5:39 PM
I've seen it in a book I think it was more turned boxes but could be wrong

The only thing they said was to turn the tendon in the top instead of the bottom otherwise it was turned like any other box just shallower

Bill

Greg Haugen
05-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Dean,
Look for a box called "Turned Boxes-50 Designs" by Chris Stott. The Clamshell box along with 49 others are in it. The Book is available through most any turning supply catalog, Barnes and Noble, and Woodcraft/Rockler.

Mike Peace
05-04-2009, 10:25 PM
It is also in Jimmy Clewes DVD, Turnaround.

Dean Thomas
05-07-2009, 11:56 AM
I picked up the Stott book at my public library last night. It's not the design I'm looking for, but I may be able to adapt it. I may also have to surrender and call my buddy here locally whose box I want to emulate. His were made from cocobolo and reminded me a little of a Loony-Tune cartoon clam that I vaguely remember. The seam is accented by the "lips" of this clam and then dip and dome up at the middle of the piece. A little gentle persuasion at the parting of the lips and the box opens. I like Stott's design, but it's not what I'm seeking. More when I find out. :)

Remembered that Anthony has a website and so went looking. THIS URL (http://www.acmewoodturning.com/gpage9.html) will show you the basic idea of what I'm trying to do, but Anthony is a threading nut. I do NOT want to thread the box I'm making. I'll curl the lips a bit more and do more of an ogee on the lid, but this gets me closer to explaining what I'm trying to do. He changes pics often, but I'm sure will always have at least one "flat box" to show off.

Anthony's site is fun to visit. He's a dynamite turner and a great teacher.

Greg Haugen
05-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Dean,
Ah Ha! I once saw a box that looked like a "cartoon clam" that had lips, etc. the turner even added some eyes to the top of it. I just tried to find the picture and unfortunately couldn't. It was on the Chicago Woodturner's site and was from a past demonstration of Ray Key or Chris Stott. It was a Multi-Axis box so the lips were only in the front and not all of the way around. Jean Francois Escoulen may have something as well.

I know that's not much help.