PDA

View Full Version : Particle board/melamine for TS sled?

Rob Price
05-03-2009, 3:26 PM
Okay, after I finish my router station (Hopefully this week) next will be a sled for my new TS.

I'm working on my rendition of the Eagle Lake "Super Sled," mainly I plan on incorporating some of the good ideas and add ons he has.

I also just bought a 5'x9' sheet of double sided melamine particleboard. I'm using this for my router table fence, as well as several other jigs and fixtures, and I'm leaning towards using it as my sled. Pros- it's flat, the melamine is slick, and it will provide a surface I can take notes on, lay out lines, and wipe off later. It's a bit heavy though. I'm planning on using 3/4 stock either way, so thickness isn't a problem. I even have some of the iron on banding to keep the edges clean and crisp.

I'm planning on adding a zero clearance insert using some 1/4 MDF I have, so I need a thick base. That way I can use it for dados, bevels, etc.

I'm debating whether or not to make the slots all the way through, like on the super sled, or using a T-track system.

Any major reasons NOT to use the melamine?

Joe Scharle
05-03-2009, 4:11 PM
I use it a lot!

Bill White
05-03-2009, 4:36 PM
Be careful of the stuff. It will cut ya. DAMHIKT.
Bill

Bob Aquino
05-03-2009, 5:53 PM
One word, Don't. Tablesaw sleds take a good amount of abuse and that stuff isn't up to the task. If you want it to last more than a year or so, make it out of plywood. I just finished one out of baltic birch, very stable surface, looks nice and should stand up very well. If you look at any of the incra stuff, for tables and flat surfaces they use baltic birch covered with phenolic.

Andrew Joiner
05-03-2009, 6:09 PM
OK call me a rebel, but I used 3/16" plywood for my latest sled(now 3 years old). I wanted it light weight . It cuts perfect. I use it on up to 3' cuts.

My old 1/2" particle board sled will handle 4x8 sheets, but I don't reach for it often.

Both sleds are the single bar design.