PDA

View Full Version : Hillbilly Pen Press

Terry Rothwell
05-03-2009, 3:03 PM
Yes, its pouring rain here today and i'm bored out of my mind,LOL. Ive been trying to come up with an idea for a cheapo pen press for a while now and this is my best idea so far. I havent tried it out yet so I will let ya know how it works when I do. 117353

Dean Thomas
05-03-2009, 3:32 PM
Cheapo, quicko, and no-guilto if it don't work-o! :)

John Fricke
05-03-2009, 4:32 PM
If that doesn't work maybe you could try this...........oh you said cheap.

Steve Schlumpf
05-03-2009, 4:53 PM
Terry - at the very least - you stayed entertained while it was raining! Don't see why your contraption wouldn't work - so be sure to let us know the results of the testing of your proto-type!

John Fricke
05-03-2009, 5:10 PM
On a more serious note.........That's pretty clever actually. One design change I see that could be beneficial knowing caulking guns as I do. Some type of bushing on the outside to stabilize the pushrod to keep it from jacking out of alignment when you apply pressure. If the rod is supported in 2 places it should stay fairly true.

Bill O'Conner
05-03-2009, 5:32 PM
cheap and easy

I just use the lathe a piece of wood on the headstock and an other turned with a taper that fits my MT2 for the tailstock

Bill

Steve Mellott
05-03-2009, 5:58 PM
I use my woodworking vise (with maple jaws) - it works great!

Steve

Keith Outten
05-03-2009, 6:50 PM
Get yourself a can crusher from Harbor Freight, the kind you mount on the wall to crush aluminum cans...I think they are about 3 bucks and they actually work as well as the more expensive commercial pen presses :)

Dean Thomas
05-03-2009, 7:08 PM
Probably work well because they're often supported by concrete walls! ;)

Won't bend like those resin bottomed things. Sigh.

Terry Rothwell
05-03-2009, 7:24 PM
Hey, it actually works pretty well. You're right John it could use a little support along the rod but if you're careful it stays in line alright. The push block is against the outer frame on two sides which helps with the alignment. Here are a few pens that I whipped up with it. From left to right, Eastern Red Cedar, Shagbark Hickory and Ash. The Ash actually had a pretty cool looking grain before I turned it. 117382

Mike Stephens
05-03-2009, 7:35 PM
Love it. When are you going to start working on your next hillbilly tool. You could start a whole line of hillbilly tools. You could even step it up a notch and have the hillbilly deluxe line.:D

Saving money and producing some very nice pens is better then no pens.

Keep rocking that hillbilly pen press.

Mike

Tom Henry
05-03-2009, 7:55 PM
I use 12" Erwin quick release clamps. :D

Bernie Weishapl
05-03-2009, 8:30 PM
Looks like it will do the job and kept you busy.

John W Dixon
05-03-2009, 9:16 PM
Great idea and nice looking pens too. I love when ingenuity meets necessity!

John