PDA

View Full Version : Keyless chuck for cordless drill?

Ellen Benkin
05-03-2009, 1:10 PM
I just purchased the Makita combo kit (10.8V Li-On batteries) which comes with a drill and an impact driver. I would like to get a keyless chuck for the drill so that I can use "regular" round drill bits -- I have a lot of them. I've looked around and can't find any Makitas. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Bill Houghton
05-03-2009, 2:07 PM
The manufacturers settled some years back on standard spindle sizes for portable drill motors: 3/8"-24 (threads per inch) for 1/4" and almost all 3/8" chucks, 1/2"-20 for heavy duty 3/8" chucks and 1/2" chucks.

I'm not familiar with the particular model you mention, but, if you can remove the chuck on it, you should find that spindle (you can check with a fine thread 3/8" nut from the hardware store). Typically, there's a screw in the center of the chuck, accessible when the jaws are opened completely, that removes opposite the usual direction because it has lefthand threads; and you can then remove the chuck by chucking up a 1/4" or 3/8" hex-type wrench ("Allen wrench") in the jaws, and striking that sharply with a small hammer in the direction that will unscrew the chuck (conventional threads, so right-tight, left-loose). All this assumes, though, a chuck - if the drill comes with a hex-socket, it may be integral to the spindle.

If it does have a threaded spindle in the conventional size, you should be able to find a chuck at any hardware store to fit.

If it has only a non-removable hex socket type chuck, you can find keyless chucks that have a male hex fitting on the back, but they may be limited in capacity.

Side note: I really don't like keyless chucks for round-shank bits. In spite of what you will hear manufacturers say, they just don't grip like the old keyed chucks, unless you buy a really really expensive one.

harry strasil
05-03-2009, 2:25 PM
The drill/driver you purchased is set up for the quick change hex drive system, if you got it at a bargain price, you now need to spend the money you saved for a set of hex drive bits, or return it and get a regular drill with a regular keyed chuck. sorry.

Bill Huber
05-03-2009, 2:45 PM
I got one of these to use on my small driver, I don't use it a lot but it is nice when I need it. Most of the time I use my larger drill for drilling.

Home Depot has them.

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Accessories/AccessoryDetails.aspx?ID=34188

Dave Falkenstein
05-03-2009, 3:55 PM
Dewalt also makes a hex drive keyless chuck:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW0521-Connect-Impact-Conversion/dp/B000KKWLE8/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_b

Ellen Benkin
05-03-2009, 6:28 PM
I guess I'll try HD and, when they can't find anything, go to mail order. Thanks for your help.