PDA

View Full Version : Estate sale

George Sanders
05-03-2009, 10:59 AM
I went to an estate sale Saturday and this thing followed me home. It's a Craftsman Dunlop by King-Seeley. Made between the late 40's and mid-50's. Has a 14" table and an 18" depth. All cast iron. It came with a dead motor; it only hums. No problem as I have some on hand. The motor is all ball bearing and has cast iron housings. What I find peculiar about it is that it is a 1/5 H.P. 110/220. Why would any need arise for a fractional H.P. motor on 220?
I also bought some lumber so I can start making legs for a proper workbench. I know the smallest one is fir as I cut down the 16' to a more manageable size. The thick wide ones may be southern pine but I don't really know.
I gave 30 for the saw and 30 for the wood. I also got a small stack of 3/4 pine but it's not in the photo.

Fred Hargis
05-03-2009, 11:36 AM
I had picked up a Craftsman-King Seeley scroll saw a few weeks ago, and it has a 1/6 HP dual voltage motor. I had pretty much the same reaction you did. But it's in storage right now waiting for me to get to it. The only missing piece that I'm aware of is the presser foot..still looking for that. I doubt that motor I got was the original one, this is the 24" throat model (103.0404) and I would guess it came with at least a 1/4 HP, or maybe a 1/3 motor. I'm sure looking forward to the day I can use it.

George Sanders
05-03-2009, 11:56 AM
My saw is not going into immediate service either. I have too many other things to do at the moment. I was wrong about the table size. It's 12 " square. The insert appears to be bakelite. The badge number on mine is 103-0407 so I think both our saws were made in the same time period.

Bill White
05-03-2009, 4:43 PM
May just have a bad starter capacitor.
That's when the Craftsman stuff WAS good. My 1952 drill press is a honker.
Bill ;)

Peter Scoma
05-03-2009, 4:48 PM
Good score George. I inherited that same saw from my uncle maybe 15-20 yrs ago and its still going strong.
Enjoy
PS

Fred Hargis
05-03-2009, 5:00 PM
My saw is not going into immediate service either. I have too many other things to do at the moment. I was wrong about the table size. It's 12 " square. The insert appears to be bakelite. The badge number on mine is 103-0407 so I think both our saws were made in the same time period.
I would agree. You got my curiosity up about the table size, mine does have a 14" square table. It's buried in the back of my storage shed and I couldn't see the insert...but I would swear it was aluminum. There are some guys who are real knowledgeable about these old saws over at OWWM. If you just search some of the past threads there's a wealth of info about them.

Fred Hargis
05-03-2009, 5:02 PM
Peter, did you happen to get a manual with your saw? I'm still looking for a complete copy.
Edit in: Oops, sorry...the manual for the 103.407 is on OWWM if anyone needs it. http://www.owwm.com/mfgindex/pubdetail.aspx?id=802

George Sanders
05-04-2009, 6:13 AM
Thanks for the link Fred. I knew they probably had the manual but I didn't know which one it would be. I downloaded it this morning.

Rob Russell
05-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Just so folks know, that's a jigsaw - not a scroll saw. On a jigsaw, the arm is fixed and the blade goes straight up and down. That cylinder on the top of the head assembly is basically a spring assembly to keep the blade tight.

One advantage of a true jigsaw over a scrollsaw is that it can cut a tight curve. Why? There is no arc to the blade motion. Jigsaws do cut a little slower because that less aggressive cutting motion.

There's an old jigsaw up in my grandfather's workshop that a cousin used to make some jigsaw puzzles.

Bill Houghton
05-04-2009, 1:15 PM
Just so folks know, that's a jigsaw - not a scroll saw. On a jigsaw, the arm is fixed and the blade goes straight up and down. That cylinder on the top of the head assembly is basically a spring assembly to keep the blade tight.

One advantage of a true jigsaw over a scrollsaw is that it can cut a tight curve. Why? There is no arc to the blade motion. Jigsaws do cut a little slower because that less aggressive cutting motion.

There's an old jigsaw up in my grandfather's workshop that a cousin used to make some jigsaw puzzles.

And, back when hand-held saws with little blades going up and down were first introduced, they were "saber saws." Unfortunately, "jigsaw" has come to mean the portable tool, thus confusing the terminology for the stationary tools.