PDA

View Full Version : Saving Videos

Gene Howe
05-03-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm an old, non-techie, geezer so can you guys help me out, here?
Is there any way to save videos to a thumb drive or CD? I can't figure it out.
I thought about even trying to hook my laptop to the tv and maybe recording to a CD that way???
But, I have NO clue as to what hdwr I need or, as to the process.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mike holden
05-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Gene,
need more info. What kind of videos are you talking about? What format are they in now? (videotape, dvd, 8mm film, or youtube, or ?) Where do you want to play them? (tv, computer, ipod?) What quality level are you willing to accept? etc.

Given that, we can help you better.
Mike

Gene Howe
05-03-2009, 1:25 PM
Gene,
need more info. What kind of videos are you talking about? What format are they in now? (videotape, dvd, 8mm film, or youtube, or ?) Where do you want to play them? (tv, computer, ipod?) What quality level are you willing to accept? etc.

Given that, we can help you better.
Mike

Thanks Mike. I want to pull woodworking videos from different sites (magazine sites, some Shopsmith sites, you tube..etc.) Ideally, I'd like to get them on my HD and transfer to a thumb drive or disk to conserve HD space. Or, just copy them as their playing direct to the thumb drive or disk, if thats possible.

mike holden
05-03-2009, 7:08 PM
Gene,
search for "save2pc lite", this was recommended by MaximumPC magazine as a way to capture the videos on youtube, or other websites that use something like flashplayer to play the videos in your web browser.

Some sites play nice and let you right-click and "save as" to your hard drive. Common file types that will run from Windows Media Player are *.wmv, *.mpg, and *.mp4. There are others as well.

Once you have the file saved to your harddrive you can save it to any form of media you like.

Mike

Note this response assumes you are running a windows pc, if you a using a mac, well, I dont know - my last apple product was an apple II+ back in the early 70's (grin) mh

Dave Lehnert
05-04-2009, 9:55 PM
Thanks Mike. I want to pull woodworking videos from different sites (magazine sites, some Shopsmith sites, you tube..etc.) Ideally, I'd like to get them on my HD and transfer to a thumb drive or disk to conserve HD space. Or, just copy them as their playing direct to the thumb drive or disk, if thats possible.

Don't ask me how but when I had Real Player installed on my computer it would let a person record a video.
Say you were viewing a video of a guy using his Shopsmith ;) you would just move your mouse to the upper right of the video and a little window would pop up to let you record. Once on your drive you can burn a copy.
I now use Windows player and can not record with it.
Just be sure the video does not have a copy right.