PDA

View Full Version : Real Newbie Question on Spokeshaves

Perry Underwood
05-03-2009, 1:19 AM
I am interested in trying a spokeshave to shape the backs of guitar necks. I am familiar with blade preparation on chisels and believe I could prepare the blade for a spokeshave.

I am thinking about this spokeshave. It's very basic but, unfortunately, I can't provide much information on it. I believe the spokeshave is about 9 1/2 inches long. It would cost me about US20$ not counting shipping.

I'd appreciate any information on this type of spokeshave. Thank you.

By the way, here is the webpage from the online store in Taiwan. Most of it is in Chinese. (I live in Taiwan so shipping would be minimal.)

http://www.dastool.com.tw/catalog/plane.html

Justin Cavender
05-03-2009, 1:24 AM
Go for it I have a western style spokeshave and that is what I shape my guitar necks with I would love to have one like you are talking about I just recently got an asian polishing plane and I love it.

David Gendron
05-03-2009, 2:05 AM
Justin, what is your polishing plane and where did you get it?
Perry, I'm not realy familiar with this tpe of spoke shave, but usualy they are prety strait fwrd. and for $20 I don't think you kcan make a mistake!
David

Perry Underwood
05-03-2009, 2:54 AM
Justin and David, thank you for your quick responses. I imagine that the blade is tapped into the spokeshave. I don't know if the bottom is flat or rounded. I probably won't be able to take a look at it before buying, so I'm looking for some guidance on how it's made and how to use it. Probably is starightforward, though.

John Keeton
05-03-2009, 5:30 AM
Perry, I took a look at the link - and they have some neat looking stuff. Had a little trouble with the narrative descriptions, though:D

Perry Underwood
05-03-2009, 5:53 AM
I can't read Chinese, either.

Bob Easton
05-03-2009, 8:26 AM
SWMBO has been studying Chinese for some time. Although the vocabulary of hand tools is not something she appreciates, she did discover "knife base curve" in the first line of the description. We don't know if that means the sole is curved or the blade edge is curved. The rest of the description has to do with "Made in Japan," "imported from Japan," and "hard resistant material."

It looks like a very practical shave. Let us know how it does for your guitar building.

Sam Takeuchi
05-03-2009, 9:13 AM
I can somewhat make out what it says. For that spoke shave, I think it says Japanese something steel, forged in Taiwan. Hard fagaceae (beech I think) wood (for the body). And then the size and blade width. The last bit is the use for this thing, planing curved surface. It sure doesn't say much at all.

george wilson
05-03-2009, 9:37 AM
It is a typical Japanese style spokeshave.I think the blade has a little taper in its width,making it tighter as you tap it down farther,rather than having a wedge.

As a guitar maker,I think it is too bulky,and you'd be better off with a western style spokeshave. One of those old "tubular" shaped Millers Falls would be the best.I have one.It can be used for straight work,or the blade can be re positioned for hollowing curved work.

lowell holmes
05-03-2009, 9:56 AM
Is that what is called a "cigar Shave". I think Traditonal Woodworker may have them. I have one of their convenional shaves and like it.

They do have it. They call it a 2"circular brass spoke shave,

Perry Underwood
05-03-2009, 10:22 AM
A big "thank you" to everyone who has responded. It was nice to have some of the text translated, too. I didn't expect that. I plan on getting the spokeshave, partly because it looks interesting and also finding tools like this is not so easy in Taiwan.

I should be in the States for part of the summer, so I can take a look at what is available. I did look at Traditional Woodworker, but they don't ship outside of the US.

Sam Takeuchi
05-03-2009, 10:57 AM
I have a Kunz spokeshave I got as a part of my very first tools. It's pretty crappy so I don't really recommend Kunz spokeshave (actually I don't recommend anything Kunz). It works, but it's not exactly the most precise or pleasant spokeshave. It's cheap, though.

Perry Underwood
05-04-2009, 2:18 AM
Sam, thank you for your comment about Kunz. I was looking at those online. I guess one gets what one pays for. I did order the spokeshave that I asked about. I hope to have it by the end of the week. By the time I return to States, I should know if I want/need something more expensive.

Justin Cavender
05-04-2009, 7:07 AM
David my polishing plane is a mujingfang 63 deg bed angle and I got it from japanwoodworker.com and I can't tell you how much i love it