PDA

View Full Version : Russian Olive pedestal HF

Curt Fuller
05-03-2009, 12:24 AM
The HF is Russian Olive, the pedestal and finial are African Mahogany that I dyed with minwax dark walnut stain. This is my first attempt at carving a finial and trying one of these tall pedestal pieces. Both the finial and pedestal are two pieces each, one face grain and one long grain. That didn't work out too well with the dyeing as you can see near the base of the finial. The finial is pretty big and chunky, the next one I'll try something a little more delicate and maybe carve the pedestal too. The carving was with a small dremel tungsten carbide bit similar to the Kutzall type bits. 11" tall x 5.5". All comments and suggestions welcomed.

Jeff Nicol
05-03-2009, 7:16 AM
Curt, You have nothing to be worried about with the color or the shape and size of the finial or pedestal. I think they work together to give the piece a strength and feel of old Russia! I spent the whole day yesterday at the gallery and talking to lots of people, you can not imagine the difference in opinions on each piece that was displayed. Some love a piece that I was not so sure of and others disliked ones that I was most proud of! So I take it with a grain of salt and go on from there. Sometimes the most subtle change can make it better or worse! have fun and keep showing us great works!

Have a great day!

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
05-03-2009, 8:11 AM
Curt - this is really cool! I actually like the way the wood took the dye - sorta matches the colors in the hollow form and helps tie everything together! Great idea and nice work on the carved finial! Not sure if having the pedestal carved the same way would be to much or not - but having just the finial carved works well!

Really like the shape of the HF, colors and the overall size. Very nice work! You should be happy with the results!

Bob Hallowell
05-03-2009, 8:21 AM
Curt I think it is very nice and unique like all your turning. Good job.

Bob

Richard Madison
05-03-2009, 9:01 AM
Curt,
Beautiful hf. Cool finial if, as you say, a bit heavy. Pedestal might be a little heavy, but I like the shape. If it were carved would be afraid it would detract from the hf. I like the flow from pedestal to hf as it is.

Bernie Weishapl
05-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Beautiful piece Curt. I would leave the base as is and just make it a little more delicate as well as the finial. I really like it.

Tim Cleveland
05-03-2009, 1:56 PM
Beautiful piece Curt. Very unique with the carved finial, I agree with everyone else that a carved base might detract from the HF.

Tim

Don Carter
05-03-2009, 3:41 PM
Beautiful piece Curt! I like as it is.

Bill Bolen
05-03-2009, 7:53 PM
Gorgeous piece again Curt. Gosh that Olive wood just sucks you right in. Unique finial to boot

Mike Minto
05-03-2009, 8:34 PM
That is a wonderful piece - don't criticize your effort - great job! mike