PDA

View Full Version : Tool Sharpening In northern Il,

Dennis McGarry
05-02-2009, 10:06 PM
I should have asked at the woodcraft store when I bought my lathe, but does anyone know of anywhere in Northern Illinois, Around the six flags area that I could have sharpen my tools?

I have a grinder I picked up, but without the jig I think I am doing more harm then good to them..

Dennis

Scott Conners
05-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Dennis, see if there is a local AAW chapter nearby. Most clubs will have some members very willing to show you the ropes and how to sharpen properly, as well as get your tools in proper shape. Check the AAW website for your local chapter.

Ryan Baker
05-02-2009, 10:45 PM
You really have to learn to sharpen your tools yourself. Turning tools have to be sharpened so often that you will never be able to get by with an outside sharpening service unless you have a huge number of tools you can cycle through.

Take that money you would spend on a sharpening service and put it toward the sharpening jig. (Or make your own jig -- they aren't that complicated.) You can do it without a jig, but it takes more practice. There is a ton of info out there, books, videos, websites, etc. giving examples if you can't find anyone local to givve you some hands-on instruction. Keep practicing, you will get it sorted out soon.

Grant Davis
05-02-2009, 11:01 PM
A quick youtube search gave me this on sharpening lathe tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgeeBJSCC0E