PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy's practice facility destroyed

Jim O'Dell
05-02-2009, 6:42 PM
Straight line winds blew the vinyl sheathed indoor type practice facility down during rookie practice today. 4 injuries to staff personnel, none thought to be life threatening. Pretty interesting raw footage shot by media inside when it happened. No players injured. Reports say that the draft picks and free agents jumped right in searching for anyone that might be trapped. Pulled a door up off of a reporter so he could get out.
What a way to get welcomed to the NFL!!! Jim.

Edit: Well, for over 2 hours, the above information was being reported. Now they are saying 10 went to hospitals, 6 treated and released. One critical from being impaled with something, probably aluminum structure material, three serious with one head injury, and the others not specified. I guess we will know more tomorrow.

Jim Rimmer
05-02-2009, 9:08 PM
Was this in the DFW area? I live near Houston but haven't had the news on today. Besides, Houston news thinks nothing happens outside of Harris county. And when I lived in North Texas it was the same way up there - if it wasn't Tarrant or Dallas county, it didn't happen.

Jim O'Dell
05-02-2009, 9:24 PM
Valley Ranch to be exact. A little north and a little west of the (now) old Texas Stadium. It is at the Cowboy's complex. I do watch TXCN some to see what is happening in other parts of the state, as they have reports from local news around the state. Jim.

Cody Colston
05-02-2009, 10:13 PM
10 injured initially and two more walked in the hospital for treatment. Reports say three people are injured pretty critically but none are life-threatening.

The biggest impact to the Cowboys may be that Joe DeCamillas, their new special teams coach incurred a neck injury and was carted off on a stretcher with a neck brace. He was already making a difference on special teams and if he's out for any significant time, it will really hurt Dallas. I hope he's okay and able to participate in the OTA's and upcoming mini-camps.

I also read that the Irving FD was there within 10 minutes. That's pretty quick response time. Kudos to them.

Ben Franz
05-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Sorry to hear about the injuries. Have they found a way to blame it on T. O. yet?

John Lohmann
05-03-2009, 8:42 AM
According to the Atlanta Journal,
Dallas Cowboys special teams coach Joe DeCamillis broke his back and 11 more were injured when winds just shy of tornado strength ripped through the roof of the team’s indoor practice facility during a rookie minicamp Saturday.
Former Falcons (http://g.ajc.com/r/Cv/) coach Dan Reeves, DeCamillis’ father-in-law, said the first-year Dallas coach has a couple of broken vertebrae in his lower back.
“They say he’s lucky not to be paralyzed,” said Reeves, adding that DeCamillis probably will have surgery. The coach was seen being removed on a stretcher wearing a neck brace.

John Fricke
05-03-2009, 9:15 AM
While this is an unfortunate happening to any team or individual.........Thank goodness this didn't happen to my beloved Detroit Lions.............Lord knows they need all the practice time they can get.

Jim O'Dell
05-03-2009, 11:01 AM
John, thanks for the update. I haven't looked at any news this morning. Sure hate to hear about the back injury. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
05-04-2009, 9:03 AM
The updatet his am on MSN is that one support staff has a broken back and is paralyzed from the waist down. This must be the one that no information was available on over the weekend. DeCamillis is said to have one fracured vertebrae, but no paralysis. Another has a leg broken in 2 spots. So worse than originally thought, but it could have been much much worse. Pray for those injured. Jim.