PDA

View Full Version : Deer Horn pens

Rick Gifford
05-02-2009, 12:51 PM
I turned my first horn pen the other day. Didnt put any finish on it.

I was wondering what, if any finishes have proven well on horn.

There's always CA but I do that on most other pens.

Allen Neighbors
05-02-2009, 4:26 PM
I turn a lot of deer antler pens. Only finish I've ever used on them is CA. I don't think you can beat it, once it's buffed and put together. :D

Steve Schlumpf
05-02-2009, 4:39 PM
Rick - looking forward to the photos!

Chris Rae
05-02-2009, 5:02 PM
I also use CA on them for a finish.

Rick Gifford
05-02-2009, 5:29 PM
Rick - looking forward to the photos!

Yes, I should have posted pics. I know better than that!

Heres my first deer antler pen. I was out in the shop cutting up more horn and getting tubes installed for three more pens. A friend gave me a small pile of antlers. Except for the smell when drilling these are pretty easy to turn. Im taking a little time on the bandsaw trimming the blanks as needed before turning on the lathe.

Steve Schlumpf
05-02-2009, 5:53 PM
Good looking pen! Thanks for taking the time to post photos! I imagine these type of pens would be pretty popular! Nice work!

Billy Tallant
05-02-2009, 6:36 PM
Nice looking antler pen. I use a craft spray on sealer. Sell it at Walmart in the craft section. Puts a gloss finish on the pen. I'm sure it is not as durable as the CA finish, but sure is easy to apply.

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2009, 7:07 PM
Great looking pens Rick. I also use CA on mine.

Mark Hix
05-03-2009, 12:01 PM
great looking pen. I use CA on all of mine. Several have requested "naked" pens. They absorbe the oils/dirt from your hands and take on a character all their own over time.

Rick Gifford
05-03-2009, 1:24 PM
I have another question. I want to make a pen for my brother, father etc. They'd like the deer horn pens.

I think I'll have them laser engraved so they are personalized.

Is it best to engrave before or after finish is apllied?

I know with plaques they can laser after the finish and it makes it easy to apply shoe polish etc in the engraving and the rest wipes off easy over the finish.

Any ideas?