PDA

View Full Version : rechargeable batteries

Chuck Wintle
05-02-2009, 9:58 AM
I am using some Nimh batteries made by Rayovac and these don't seem to last any time after being charged. I am using the charger made by them and when the light goes off the batteries are supposed to be charged fully. yet when used in a remote control for example they seem to lose power quickly as compared to an alkaline battery. Are Nimh batteries the wrong type for this application? :D

Mike Henderson
05-02-2009, 10:03 AM
This is from memory so I might be wrong, but I believe that Nimh batteries have a lower voltage (I think it's 1.2V) than regular batteries, such as alkaline (which are closer to 1.5V). Your remote control may require the higher voltage.

Mike

Julian Nicks
05-02-2009, 10:51 AM
I had the same problem for a while. I have a charger that charges 2 NiMh batteries at a time, and I have 4 batteries. So when I wasn't using two of the batteries, I just left them in the charger. What I found out is that the charger was actually draining the batteries when not plugged in.

There is a variety of amperages available in nimh batteries. This might have something to do with them draining faster.

Steve Leverich
05-02-2009, 12:39 PM
This may shed some light on things -

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm

HTH... Steve

Curt Harms
05-02-2009, 1:24 PM
I have NiMH batteries and a charger from here (http://mtobattery.com/store/page14.html). A pair have been in a DirecTV remote since October 30 of last year. So far, so good. I've used sticky labels to note date of installation to be able to track charge duration. I also bought a couple 9V. rechargeable. So far I'm quite happy with MTO's battery performance.

David G Baker
05-02-2009, 2:04 PM
My TV remote has AAA copper top batteries that have lasted me for 5 or more years and I am a serious button pusher because I refuse to listen to commercials if I can reach the remote.
If this thread is about battery life in a remote for a dust collector I have no information or experience.

Mat Ashton
05-02-2009, 6:19 PM
Over the years I've tried to do the right thing and use rechargeable batteries but I've now given up. No matter the promises made by the manufacturers they simply don't preform as stated. They always drain even if not used and as they get older (and not all that old to be honest) they won't hold a charge for long at all no matter if they treated right or not. To me they're a waste of money and time.

Mike Henderson
05-02-2009, 8:12 PM
Over the years I've tried to do the right thing and use rechargeable batteries but I've now given up. No matter the promises made by the manufacturers they simply don't preform as stated. They always drain even if not used and as they get older (and not all that old to be honest) they won't hold a charge for long at all no matter if they treated right or not. To me they're a waste of money and time.
Look at the Eneloop (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_0_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=eneloop+batteries&sprefix=eneloop)batteries. They hold their charge in storage and have lasted well for me - through many rechargings.

Mike

David Winer
05-02-2009, 8:58 PM
I have been using this charger (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/ipowerus_fc501.html) for a few years. No problems at all. Actually I have two of them and "store" batteries in them for all sorts of gadgetry. Quoting from the review: "This auto trickle mode uses a safe, 35-50mA current and most NiMH batteries can accept this level indefinitely."

Dick Latshaw
05-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Also take a look at these guys:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/index.htm

They seem to be the battery and charger supplier of choice with my photography friends. Eneloop and Imedion batteries.

Anthony Scira
05-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Enloop have performed well for me too.

John Lohmann
05-03-2009, 8:38 AM
Duracell precharged batteries do not discharge as much while unused. They are recommended for remotes. They were great for flashlights & cameras, unlike normal rechargables, pick the flashlight up after a year & it works.

Steve knight
05-03-2009, 2:07 PM
the enloops are prefect for long term use.

Jason Abel
05-03-2009, 5:55 PM
Hybrio batteries are the exact same battery as Enloop (just wrapped in different labels) and are much cheaper.

Steve knight
05-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Hybrio batteries are the exact same battery as Enloop (just wrapped in different labels) and are much cheaper.
are you sure they are the same made by sanyo? as far as I can find they cost the same of you work a bit. about 10.00 for 4 aa's sanyo makes about the best rechargeable cell out there.
the hybrio are harder to find.

Mat Ashton
05-04-2009, 1:39 AM
Look at the Eneloop (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_0_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=eneloop+batteries&sprefix=eneloop)batteries. They hold their charge in storage and have lasted well for me - through many rechargings.

Mike

Thx for that Mike!

I'll have to give rechargeables another attempt. I hate throwing batteries away.

Lee Schierer
05-04-2009, 11:34 AM
I've had very good luck with my Duracell 2650 mAh batteries. They last considerably longer than the Rayovac and Digital rechargeables.

Be sure you read the fine print when buying batteries. Get the largest mAh rating you can find. Don't charge batteries with different mAh ratings as the larger capacity battery will take longer to charge and your charger may be fooled into showing a "fully charged" indication prematurely.

Jason Abel
05-04-2009, 1:49 PM
Never saw them that cheap. I sell the Hybrio's for $11/pack. I know the company that imports them. They are the same.

I repectfully somwhat disagree with Lee. The lower capacity Hybrio cells can outperform the higher capacity cells in performance in digital electronics. The higher the mAh in such a small diameter cell the lower the efficiency on amperage output. Therefore in digital cameras it will take longer for the flash to recharge or it will draw a higher amperage load through more resistance making it less efficient. We compared AA2100 hybrios and AA2600 Standard Sanyo's and the Hybrios maintained higher voltage/capacity at a 3A load. The Sanyos output more capacity at a 1A load than the Hybrios. It's all in what they are being used in as to what batteries fit the best.

Had to stop using rechargeables in many of my household items as my wife throws them away when they go dead instead of recharging.......it hurts a battery guy like me to see that!!

Steve knight
05-04-2009, 1:55 PM
ebay and amazon both you can get both for 10.00 a pack. just bought some enloops for 10.00 and 3.5 shipping off of ebay.

Jason Abel
05-04-2009, 5:06 PM
Thats good pricing. People are moving stuff just to keep cash flowing.