PDA

View Full Version : Tool Making for the feeble

Burt Alcantara
05-02-2009, 9:23 AM
I'd like to make a D handle for a captured system and back rest to hold it. I don't have welding equipment. Would silver solder be strong enough to put the handle together? Is there such a thing as a small, compact, inexpensive welder for jobs like this?

I know I can buy a captured system or parts from a variety of vendors but I'd like to "go my own way."

I might be persuaded to buy a small welding rig recommended by the more experienced out there. Haven't been able to find a good machinist yet.

Can I mill steel using my drill press with a good end mill?

Thanks,
Burt

John Fricke
05-02-2009, 9:42 AM
I'm not a certified welder. I do however have extensive welding experience from back when I farmed. I built a lot of the equipment we used on the farm. I have limited experience with the 110V mig welders on the market. From what I have used them, they are adequate for occasional use with flux core wire. They can be picked up at the discount stores for under $150. The biggest thing is to make sure you get adequate penetration. If you go this route and you have not done much welding I would recommend practicing on scrap metals. You can then grind your weld appart to determine the amount of penetration. (how deep you actually melted the metal)

Scott Conners
05-02-2009, 12:20 PM
I've seen D-handles and gates made of steel pipe threaded into fittings.

The little 110v mig welders are really easy to use with a little practice. Very easy to make strong joints, even if they aren't very pretty. Expect 150-250 for an inexpensive one plus wire, a tank (if you get one that can use gas, otherwise flux core wire works), and protective gear - gloves and a mask. Auto-darkening masks can be had under $50 now, they are well worth it. Miller is a great name, as is Hobart, but there are lots of other options that work.

Joshua Dinerstein
05-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Harbor Frieght has their small 110v welder on sale for $89 right now. Don't know if there is one near you but it is a good deal if you are looking for a small light duty welder. I have been eyeing it but I spent my toy money already for this month....

Joshua

Ryan Baker
05-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Can I mill steel using my drill press with a good end mill?

Short answer, no. Don't even try to go there. Most drill presses are no where near sturdy enough for that and will do nothing but wander around. Plus, you will be putting a lot of side load on the bearings, which they are not designed for.

As for the welder, what is your definition of inexpensive? You already have some pretty good responses. The Lincoln MIG units from the BORG work very well. Unless you want to do stainless or thin sheet metal, there is no reason to pay the extra expense for real MIG (with gas). Use the flux-core wire, which is cheaper, more convenient, and can handle thicker material as well.

Doing it yourself is not a cost-effective way to get the job done, but if you want to go that route for the experience or the enjoyment, then by all means go for it.