PDA

View Full Version : Turning qualities of kiln dried buttertnut???

Jim Slovik
05-02-2009, 8:35 AM
Does anybody have experience with kiln dried Butternut?? Is it a good turning wood?
Thanks,
Jim

Jim Underwood
05-02-2009, 8:42 AM
You have some kiln dried Butternut?

It's absolutely awful for turning. Send it all to me, and I'll tur... dispose of it for you.:D

Seriously, I've not turned any, but I imagine it's as good for turning as it is for carving. Chip carvers love the stuff because it's a soft wood that leaves a clean cut edge. My impression is that it's about like Walnut- which turns pretty well.

Depending on the thickness, I'd probably make layered bowls or two piece hollowforms with some chip carved rims or something.

Steve Frederick
05-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Turns well, sands like buttah.
Lovely Tan/Golden-Brown color.

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2009, 1:10 PM
What I have turned has turned really well.

Jim Slovik
05-02-2009, 9:04 PM
I have a chance to pick some up so I will do just that. Thanks to all for your responses.

Dean Thomas
05-03-2009, 3:46 PM
Mine was not KILN dried, but it was about 20 years old and 4" thick, dried in the rafters of a friend's overly hot garage. It's like most nut woods in that it turns nicely and is lovely at the end of the day. It's also like most dry woods in that it does not turn as nicely at green maple, but you can still throw a curl if your tools are sharp. The last of my lot is now almost 15 years old and I still love to turn it for the right project.