PDA

View Full Version : My First Deep Hollowform

Gilbert Vega
05-02-2009, 12:47 AM
Here's a couple of pics of my first vase or HF. It is made of Mesquite with a tinted Mesquite collar. Approximately 11" tall and 6" at the largest diameter. I used my 1/2" Crown Pro-PM to hollow out the inside except at the upper lip.
Dragon Fly has Mother-of-Pearl and Turquoise for the wings and Jasper for the body. Finish is Deft Lacquor.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3297/3492544629_01d2dcd8fb_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3304/3492544591_cbf18f4775_o.jpg

Burt Alcantara
05-02-2009, 12:53 AM
Gilbert,
That is very impressive for a first piece. I'd like to suggest that you try to keep a continuous curve from top to bottom. It will give you a better balance.

Keep up the good work.
Burt

Gary Max
05-02-2009, 3:51 AM
The Dragon Fly is perfect.

Mike Stephens
05-02-2009, 7:08 AM
Excellent job Gilbert. Love the dragon fly.

Jeff Luedloff
05-02-2009, 8:42 AM
Very nice hollow form, the dragon fly is a nice touch, a little goes a long way. Great Job!

Steve Schlumpf
05-02-2009, 9:42 AM
Very nice hollow form Gilbert - especially for your first! Beautiful wood - grain and color! Really like your dragonfly as it is something totally unexpected and adds a splash of color! Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing your next HF! Thanks for sharing!

Gilbert Vega
05-02-2009, 9:46 AM
Thanks for the very nice comments. Burt I agree with your comment on having a continues curve. The piece is actually going to hold some black roses for my son's 40th birthday so I was trying to balance the height with the roses. I probably should have used a larger diameter blank. Thanks again.

Jim Kountz
05-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Nice work, Im starting to really like that mesquite. Wish we had some around here.

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Gilbert that is a beautiful piece for your first. Really nice looking especially the mesquite. I really like the way it turns and doesn't move.

Allen Neighbors
05-02-2009, 5:03 PM
Well done, Gilbert. That's a long reach across the toolrest, to get that deep. You are to be commended for that HF. Dragon Fly too! Good stuff.
I'd like to see the grind on the end of your Crown Pro PM gouge. I just can't hollow vases with my bowl gouges.
When you gonna put out your first video? :D

Tim Cleveland
05-02-2009, 7:02 PM
Very nice piece, Gibert. I love the wood and the soft finish.

Tim

Gilbert Vega
05-03-2009, 1:27 AM
Well done, Gilbert. That's a long reach across the toolrest, to get that deep. You are to be commended for that HF. Dragon Fly too! Good stuff.
I'd like to see the grind on the end of your Crown Pro PM gouge. I just can't hollow vases with my bowl gouges.
When you gonna put out your first video? :D

First off, thanks again for your comments.

Allen, I used a curved tool rest to get inside the HF. The bowl gauge was never more than a couple of inches from a support. As far as the grind, it was a new Pro-PM gouge that came with the Ellsworth grind.

alex carey
05-03-2009, 1:46 AM
That's a beautiful piece Gilbert, very impressive for your first hollow form. The dragonfly is a great touch, nicely done.

Jeff Nicol
05-03-2009, 7:00 AM
Gilbert, I agree with Jim on the "I wish I had some of that around here" the wood has many nice tones and grain can be subtle to wild! Great job on your first tall HF, the dragonfly is perfect!

Keep up the good work,

Jeff

Gilbert Vega
05-04-2009, 2:24 AM
Gilbert, I agree with Jim on the "I wish I had some of that around here" the wood has many nice tones and grain can be subtle to wild!

Jeff and Jim, I love working with Mesquite, it is just about the only wood I turn with. Never have to worry about movement. That vase was cut out of a green log and turned the next day.

Mauricio Ulloa
05-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Very nice work! I liked the initiative of using the Mesquite in combination with the wood. It is really impressive to see that this is actually your first hollowed piece! Congratulations!!!!!!

Dewey Torres
05-05-2009, 1:43 AM
Of course... it has inlay!!! Love it:cool:

Rick Prosser
05-05-2009, 11:02 AM
I love that the dragon fly is subtle. It could almost blend in if you aren't looking close, but it really adds some character without taking away from the wood.