PDA

View Full Version : Safest way to secure a benchtop lathe?

Keith Albertson
05-02-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm brand new to turning, so new I haven't even turned on my Rikon mini lathe yet. I'm all ready to go, but am faced with a delimma....how do I safely and securely attach my lathe to my workbench?

I don't have enough space to have a dedicated lathe stand, nor do I want to permanently attach the lathe to my workbench. But my workbench is extemely heavy and solid, and would probably dampen vibration well enough if the lathe were attached securely.

Here are my thoughts:
1. I could attach the lathe to a piece of plywood, then use handscrews to clamp the plywood to the bench. Just not sure how solid this would be.
2. I could drill holes through the bench, and bolt the lathe to it each time I wanted to use the lathe. This requires modifying my bench, but seems it would be the most stable against vibration.

Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!:)

Rick Hutcheson
05-02-2009, 12:22 AM
I have been running the midi on my bench just attached with 2 Quick Clamps ( pistol grip type you squeeze the handle to tighten). Been turning up to 11 1/2" x 7" bowl blanks on it without any problems.

Jeff Dege
05-02-2009, 1:10 AM
I could drill holes through the bench, and bolt the lathe to it each time I wanted to use the lathe. This requires modifying my bench, but seems it would be the most stable against vibration.
If you're going to drill holes through your bench, why not make them regular benchdog holes? Mount your lathe to a panel (MDF or ply), and screw the panel into dowels that fit into the holes, or into Veritas Bench Anchors.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-02-2009, 1:33 AM
For my other bench tools, I made a drop in rolling cart. I'm sure it would work on a stationary bench. One cart holds 3 bench tools, I just swap out the tool I want to use on the top, the other 2 stay on the bottom.

Cut out a section of the bench to fit the lathe. Build a subframe, and rabbet or dado a 3/4" lip. Trim the cut out to fit in the rabbet so the bench is again flat. Mount the lathe on a 3/4" ply and drop it in when you want to use it. Pull it out when done. Use the part of the bench that you won't mind some uneven spots, since the top will no longer be perfectly "flat". You can build another box, with the same rabbet and dimensions to hold the lathe when not in use.

For my lathe I have it on a rolling stand, but just picked up a rolling toolbox which I want to modify to carry the lathe. That way I can put tools and the tailstock in it. Tools are better when in easy reach.

Mark Norman
05-02-2009, 1:34 AM
I have been running the midi on my bench just attached with 2 Quick Clamps ( pistol grip type you squeeze the handle to tighten). Been turning up to 11 1/2" x 7" bowl blanks on it without any problems.
Thats what I would do. mount the lathe on a piece of plywood(3/4" or so) so that you can easily clamp it to the workbench.

Chris Rae
05-02-2009, 11:53 AM
I would mount it on plywood and clamp it to the bench.

John W Dixon
05-02-2009, 12:44 PM
I have a Delta Midi that is attached to a piece of 2x10 and then attached to my bench using squeeze clamps. I don't turn anything too large on it but it seems to work fine. I like the previous idea about using bench dogs in your bench.

John

Gary Herrmann
05-02-2009, 1:11 PM
I built a bench for my mini lathe several years ago. Marked out on the MDF top where the holes for the feet go. The top is 3x 3/4" MDF. Drilled through the top two, slightly into the third then made a large enough stopped hole in the bottom layer to hold the bolt heads. Glued up the MDF with the bolts in place. Put the top on the bench attached it and then slid the lathe onto the bolts - secured with lock washers and nuts. It isn't going anywhere.

Allen Neighbors
05-02-2009, 3:15 PM
I suggest 2x at least. Bolt the lathe to a 2x8 or 10. Be careful when you mount the lathe, so you don't instill twist into the ways. Then clamp it with one clamp somewhere along the mounting board. That way you won't instill twist when clamping it down.
My VL100 is mounted like this. It never moves, until I move it into the back of my truck for a trip.

Harvey Ghesser
05-02-2009, 4:11 PM
Keith,
As I see it, your first path of least resistance is your first idea. If that doesn't work, #2 surely will, athough I strongly suspect #1 will be more than sufficient and allow you greater options.

Good luck and happy turning. I'm waiting for my new lathe to delivered to be delivered as well.

Harv

Jon McCoy
05-02-2009, 4:53 PM
I'm brand new to turning, so new I haven't even turned on my Rikon mini lathe yet. I'm all ready to go, but am faced with a delimma....how do I safely and securely attach my lathe to my workbench?

I don't have enough space to have a dedicated lathe stand, nor do I want to permanently attach the lathe to my workbench. But my workbench is extemely heavy and solid, and would probably dampen vibration well enough if the lathe were attached securely.
Since you haven't yet turned, that explains why you think activities other than turning will occur in your shop. Face it, you might as well locktite the mounting bolts to your bench and get used to everything else in the shop being used as shelving for turning blanks and gouges. :D

Keith Albertson
05-02-2009, 5:33 PM
Wow!!! Thanks everybody for the great response. This forum is amazing! Since several suggest quickclamps and plywood, I'll do that first so I can scratch the itch I have to play with my new toys. Then I'll move on to the benchdog solution, since I already have benchdog holes in place. Thanks again!!

You may be right that once I start turning the rest of the shop will be forgotten, if I was in charge of my own destiny..... but you've never seen my wife's honey-do list!!!

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2009, 7:06 PM
Keith until I built the bench my Rikon is on I had it bolted to a 2 X 8 so it would be rigid. I found it worked better for me anyway with a little beef bolted to it.

Ryan Baker
05-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Put threaded inserts in the bench and bolt it down. That's a lot less trouble than through bolts and won't wear like screws/lags over time. And it is a lot more secure than a couple quick clamps. Quick clamps may seem secure, until something goes wrong.