PDA

View Full Version : Todays roughouts, first attempt at NE bowl.

Keith Palmer
05-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Well I got a couple of responses on how to go about turning a NE bowl before I started this afternoon. I rough turned 3 bowls this afternoon from some spalted unknown wood. (I am waiting for the results from the microscopy lab at work to tell me what it is:))

We had some beautiful weather this afternoon, so I moved the Shopsmith outside to turn in some nice fresh air. The bowls range from 7 to 9" in diameter and 2.5 to 4" tall.

Let me know what you think. Hope you all have a great weekend!

Steve Schlumpf
05-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Looks like they are going to be some really nice bowls! Judging by all the curlies it also looks like you had a lot of fun today! Beware - the vortex is sneaking up on you!

Mark Norman
05-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Do you plan on turning em again after they dry or just oil em and call em done?
Looks great! A lot like my first bowl just a few weeks ago.

edit: love the staging on the shopsmith;)

Keith Palmer
05-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Do you plan on turning em again after they dry or just oil em and call em done?

Yes, I plan on letting them dry and then finish turning them. I am looking at getting some of the Antique oil and giving it a try. I have only used wipe on poly and danish oil thus far. I really like the result some of the creekers get with the Antique oil.

BTW, I love your concrete lathe thread! I can't wait to see and hear how it "turns" out!!:D

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Those are going to be some great looking bowls Keith.

Mark Norman
05-02-2009, 1:03 PM
Thanks Kieth:)
Its like Bernies siggy, I'll get to sweating soon;)

You realy have no idea as to what the wood is?

Keith Palmer
05-02-2009, 3:17 PM
I am quite sure it is not oak, it has very tight grain and no open pores. It might be eastern maple, but I am not sure. I am only used to turning western big leaf maple. I should know next week exactly what it is though. Luckily I work for Weyerhaeuser R&D and I have a friend in the microscopy lab who took a sample and will identify it for me.

I will let everyone know when I find out.

Keith Palmer
05-05-2009, 4:10 PM
The lab results just came back. The wood turns out to be Sweet Gum.

Thank you all for your kind words!