PDA

View Full Version : Upwind Rush. 9/95-5/09

Mike Cutler
05-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Today I had to put down my Vizsla. His name was Rush, his AKC papers had him named as Upwind Goldrush, to me he was just Rushey. To Andy Hoyt, he was "Tripod" due to a run in with a Ford Bronco one night chasing foxes when he lost his front right leg.
He was a helluva hunting dog. Deadly on birds, and absolutely no stop button except to put him back in the truck. He'd tear himself to pieces going through the briars after a bird, blood and thorns everywhere. After he lost his leg it was kinda funny to watch a three legged pointer point, but there was no mistaking when he did it.
At the end of his life he could barely make it the 100 feet to the woods in the yard to go to the bathroom, and I had to carry him down the stairs, but in his prime he could keep up with a Norba Pro Mtn. biker through the woods for hours. He was my triathalon training partner for my run workouts.
He never needed a heavy hand. Putting the leash on him was "punishment" in his eyes, and boy could he be stubborn at times. Always willing to please though
He was a good truck dog until a year or so ago when the strength in his one remaining front leg just wasn't enough anymore, but he still got jazzed when he heard the keys jingle, and he loved to sleep in that truck.

I think tomorrow may be a little more difficult when I no longer have to do all of the simple chores of pet ownership, take them out to go to the bathroom, get them food and water, chase him through the woods at 0430 when he caught scent of a rabbit, or was busting woodcock in the swamp behind the house. He made me late to work a few times in his day.

He was alert and bright eyed at the vet's today, but his breathing was very labored and his heart rate was pretty high. Even so he made sure to spend time with both my wife and I at the end so we could pet him and say goodbye. He had a good life and he very much loved.

I'm supposed to make a template for a granite counter top tomorrow, but I think that may just wait a day or so longer.

Thanks for letting me get this out. I know there are a lot of dog and cat folks here that would understand.

Jim Rimmer
05-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Wow, Mike. Very touching tribute. Our dog died 15 years ago and we justed adopted a rescue dog this week. We were adopted by a beautiful little Persian (or Russian Blue) kiten just before Hurricane Ike. I can't believe someone would let such a beautiful kitten out on her own.

To some they are just animals, but to us who love them they are much much more. You have my condolences and I understand the sadness you are having right now.

May he chase birds forever with no pain.

Greg Peterson
05-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Sorry for your loss Mike. Sounds like he was a great companion to you, and that you were a great companion to him.

James Jaragosky
05-02-2009, 12:55 AM
I am sorry to hear of your loss. It is always hard to lose a friend; no matter how many legs they have.

Lee Mitchell
05-02-2009, 6:30 AM
It is hard to lose a faithful companion. I'm sorry to hear that you've lost yours.

We lost boJack a few years ago, after 15 years of meeting us at the door. It took awhile to adjust to the loss of that greeting. However, he's still with us in memories, because we planted a cedar tree over his grave. Our boJack tree stands proudly in the backyard.

In time, the pain will fade and be replaced by lots of warm memories. I hope that transistion goes quickly for you.

Lee in NC

Rob Russell
05-02-2009, 7:18 AM
Mike,

My wife and I have always had a cat, the first for 17 1/2 years and now almost 9 on the second. You're right about the companionship and how attached you become to each other.

Our condolences on your loss.

Rob

Ted Shrader
05-02-2009, 8:18 AM
Mike -

Yes, we pet folks understand. Rushie sounds like a great dog and he will be missed.

So sorry for your loss,
Ted

John Fricke
05-02-2009, 9:09 AM
Having to put down a beloved companion is one of the most difficult tasks in life IMHO. I feel for your loss........Now I have to go find my darn kleenex box. Take a little time for the grieving process to subside then adopt another puppy or dog.......not to replace Rushy but rather so that he may benefit from your love of animals.

Mike Henderson
05-02-2009, 9:51 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss. From your description, Rush had a very good life, which is all any of us can hope for.

My condolences on your loss.

Mike

Paul Ryan
05-02-2009, 1:32 PM
Mike,

Sorry to hear about the unbelievably tough day.

I have a companion much like yours, nothing is more important to my Lab than my approval. He is the best hunting dog I have ever hunted with, and would hunt until he keeled over if I let him. He is only 41/2 so I hope we have may more years, I am just dreading the day he passes or I have to put him down. I don't even like to think about it, it makes me tear up every time.

1 1/2 years ago he hit a truck pulling a trailer out front of my place. Chased a truck and ran into the trailer and got flung through the wheel well. I was working on my snowmobiles at the time and saw the whole thing happen. The dog picked himself up from the ditch and walked up the drive way while I chased down to check on him. He was tore up all over, but still walking. I rushed him to the vet. He spend 4 days there and about 2 weeks recovering at home. Didn't have any broken bones but about 50 stiches in various places. The wireless fence has solved that problem, but I still can see it all happen in slow motion.

Take care tommarow will be a better day.

Belinda Barfield
05-02-2009, 1:40 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss of Rushey. It's good that you such a long time together and that you could be with him at the end. I'll keep your family in my thoughts.

Jim O'Dell
05-02-2009, 3:06 PM
Mike, I'm so sorry to hear about losing Rushy. It sounds like he had a huge heart, and I'm sure took a big chunk of your's with him. Time will heal that, and the scars will turn to memories. Something LOML and I have done in the past is to make a page in the computer where we wrote little one line remembrances about what a particular dog had done in it's life, the things that were amazing, the things that made us laugh. It helps to write them down, as it facilitates the healing process.
Your post stirred up a memory of many years ago we went to an AKC hunt test where they plant the birds for the dogs to find and judge them on finding the birds, and honoring their brace mates points. There was a Vizsla that just slammed on point close to the gallery. The handler came up on the dog, the gunner came up, and the 2 judges rode up on horse back. Gave the signal, the handler flushed the bird, the gunner fired a blank pistol, and they all turned and congratulated the handler. The dog, still on point, turned his head to his handler with a look like, "You don't normally miss when we go hunting!!" Took off, chased the sleepy bird, who was flying about 5 or 6 feet off the ground, jumped up, grabbed the bird out of mid air, and promptly brought it back, sat in front of the handler, and presented the bird. It was amazing.
Sounds like Rushy from your discription. May the shamrocks fall softly....... Jim.

Harvey Ghesser
05-02-2009, 3:52 PM
Ya'll were blessed to have each other! My heartfelt condolences.

Mike Cutler
05-03-2009, 5:21 AM
Thank you all for the consoling words. It helps.

We are pet sitting this weekend. Taking care of 5 horses, 3 dogs, a cat and a bird for some friends, and that has helped also.

We'll be getting a hold of the Vizsla breeder, that we've gotten our 3 Vizsla's from, on Monday.
Even though we still have our cat, whose a little wacko at times, it's just not the same. Dogs just seem to have a different energy than cats. It takes both for our household.

Once again though. Thanks for being there.

Mike