PDA

View Full Version : Maple hollow form W/ finial

Mike Marmon
05-01-2009, 5:38 PM
Howdy All;
I haven’t posted any work in a very long time. This is a maple hollow form with my first successful finial. The finial is maple ebonized with india ink. There is a textured band below the collar. Finish is gel poly. HF is 8X2 and the finial is about 6 inches total. I appreciate any feedback you may have.

Thanks,
Mike

Bernie Weishapl
05-01-2009, 5:46 PM
Mike that is a great looking HF. The finial looks good for your first. I would thin the finial down and lose most of the bottom part that goes into the HF. That's just me. Finials do get easier as you do more.

Brian McInturff
05-01-2009, 5:50 PM
I like this one too. I agree with Bernie on the finial. For a moment I thought it was a reversible finial but I think it would be to long to do that. Nice form though!!

Wally Dickerman
05-01-2009, 7:27 PM
Okay, a critique....First, very well done, especially for a first finial. The vessel flattens out in the upper portion. I would like to see a continuing curve from top to bottom. I also like to see curves in finials. A long curve in the upper portion, making it thinner would help. The base of the finial is a bit heavy. Some little added detail on the base would catch your eye. I think it is almost always true that turners tend to start out on the heavy side with their first finials (me included). Yours IMO is better than most.

The little surprise finial on the inside is a nice touch.

Wally

Steve Schlumpf
05-01-2009, 7:53 PM
Mike - real nice effort! Pretty wood and your design works well. Things to look for next time - I couldn't help but notice a line just below the shoulder area where you changed the curve. Like Wally mentioned - you want that to be continious. I like the textured area you added to the hollow form - that is a nice effect. Your finial flows but is a little on the thick side - like we all are when we start out.

Only other thing I would like to suggest would be to lower your camera angle for at least one photo so that you can showcase the turning's profile.

Real nice work Mike! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

alex carey
05-01-2009, 8:57 PM
looking good, I agree with finial is a bit thick. Otherwise it's great.