PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi Drum Sander

David Peterson MN
05-01-2009, 5:22 PM
I have a potential chance at a Ryobi 16" Drum Sander for $100. Anybody have any experience with this sander? Any input would be great. It seems like a good deal. I am unsure of the condition thus far.

Cary Falk
05-01-2009, 5:30 PM
I have heard good things about them. $100 seems like a steal if it is in good condition.

Paul Ryan
05-01-2009, 6:42 PM
I was looking at that same one Dave. I read some bad reviews on it in the past but for $100 give it a shot. Did you see the Delta spend a couple hundred more and buy that one. I have kicked it around all day and cant pull the trigger. It is probably gone by now.

Phil Thien
05-01-2009, 6:47 PM
Love my Ryobi drum sander. At $100 I'd be on another one like white on rice.

Bob Potter
05-01-2009, 7:11 PM
Hi.
I have the Ryobi 16 x 32 drum sander. As you know they no longer make this sander. I bought this not to long after they came out. There has been no problem at all with the conveyor belt as far as tracking or the lift mechanism or any thing.
The one problem is as with all sanders of this type is putting the sand paper on. Trying to get it caught in the clip on the right side and making sure it is tight is the biggest problem of any.
As far as sanding and getting a board level it does a great job. If you take no more than a 1/64th off each time you should have no problem.
Getting back to the paper you just have to take your time at putting it on and make sure you have it caught in the clips and you'll have no problems.
If you take a small mirror for the right side you will be able to see what your doing better.
And again as far sanding take your time and even run your pcs. through twice on the same setting and you will fine it will help.
I love what this sander can do, especially with small pcs. I do a lot of inlays and it works great for blending in the different colors of wood.
The Jet-Performax is a better sander but at the time I bought my Ryobi it was at least three to four hundred less than the Performax.

Hope this helps, Bob

Phil Thien
05-01-2009, 10:07 PM
The Jet-Performax is a better sander but at the time I bought my Ryobi it was at least three to four hundred less than the Performax.

Hope this helps, Bob

None of the Ryobi's has had the problem of the motor cutting-out under load. I've read complaints from at least 10 Jet users w/ that problem, though.

The Jet is absolutely easier to change paper on, but once you get the hang of the Ryobi it isn't difficult at all.

Brian Keith
05-02-2009, 2:17 AM
Paid $40 for mine, seller thought it didnt run but was only a dirty on/off switch. Ive had great luck with it. Still using the sand paper that came on it.

Perry Underwood
05-02-2009, 7:50 AM
The Ryobi 16/32 drum sander was made by Mao Shan in Taiwan. Some time after Ryobi discontinued it from their line, the machine was made for Steel City. It was their 55210 model. It is now being offered by Accura and is their model 01632.

Mao Shan used to make two versions. One had a maximum height capacity of 3 inches and the other 5 inches. I believe they now only make the 5 inch model.

Here's the Accura model:

http://www.accuramachinetools.com/accura-01632-single-drum-open-sided-1632-inch-drum-sander-w.html

And here's the webpage from Mao Shan:

http://www.maoshan.com/product_1_table.asp?id=32&ids=6&page=1

I live in Taiwan and puchased the 3 inch model several years ago. Since that time, the only noticeable problem I have had is with the conveyor belt "jerking" forward on two separate ocassions. This was corrected by cleaning the bushings (I believe that is what they are called) in the belt drive motor.

One precaution I must add: Buy good quality sandpaper for this machine. When I replaced the original sandpaper, I used sandpaper from a roll purchased from Grizzly. The paper would shred and break at the points were it attached to the drum. I then used paper from Jet and didn't have this problem.

If you are able to check the machine out in person perhaps you could bring a few boards and run them through it. The machine is not difficult to operate.

By the way, the machine should (well, at least the post Ryobi model did) come with two shims that can be added to the base on the open drum side. This is how to make minor adjustments to equal the depth of sanding.

Phil Harding
05-02-2009, 9:12 AM
I had a this sander for a couple of years before I sold it and bought a Performax 16-32. My Ryobi had two problems. The clips that hold the paper on the drum would not always hold the paper in place. Good quality sandpaper helps with this but I can recall wrapping strips of duct tape around the ends the keep the paper in place. The other issue I had was aligning the drum parallel to the table. When I was able to get it parallel I couldn't keep that way.

But, for $100 I would jump on that deal if I didn't already have a drum sander.

-- Phil