PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 4100 vs Ridgid 4511 vs JET 708100

Mike Pond
05-01-2009, 4:18 PM
Yes, there are no end of table saw discussions here and elsewhere, but I (think I) have narrowed down my options and would like specific guidance. I'm looking to pick up a saw in the next week, likely from HD (with their current tool sale) or Lowes (who seems willing to match HD).

I'm relatively new to woodworking and expect to mostly tackle small furniture items (e.g., shelves, benches, etc). TS will likely reside in the garden garage (where there should be enough room for any of the saws, but is unheated and winters get cold).

Although I hoped to pick up a TS for ~$250, I've pretty much given that up as reviews for saws in that range appear less than optimal. I can pick up the Bosch or Ridgid for ~$450 and would expect the Jet for ~$100 more. The portability of the Bosch looks good, but for my needs, I'm guessing I can set the Jet on rollers, and I have no need to take the saw to a job site. The weight of the Ridgid does worry me however as I'm unlikely to get much help in moving/setting it up.

As always, safety features are important.

So, given all of the above, what's your experience with the above saws and recommendation?

Mike Package
05-01-2009, 4:35 PM
Been doing the same kind of shopping myself recently. Some of the conclusions I came to:

The tiny table size of the 4100 and similar saws, in particular the small size of the space in front of the blade, seemed too much of a problem to me. Both safety wise and just in terms of ease of use.

When I finally got to see the 4511 in person, the granite turned me off. The one I saw, one edge of the t-slot had a sizable chunk chipped off the end.

I ended up buying a Ridgid 3660, still sealed in the box, from Craigslist today. Now to put the d*** thing together...

Oh and don't forget to budget blade(s) and/or dado sets into the equation. I had sort of forgotten about that. Walking out of Home Depot with a Freud ripping blade and dado setup (and $130 to the poorer) reminded me!

Mike Pond
05-01-2009, 4:42 PM
Been trolling CL for several weeks without much luck. At least with the granite top it would match the kitchen counters...

Augusto Orosco
05-01-2009, 4:48 PM
The tiny table size of the 4100 and similar saws, in particular the small size of the space in front of the blade, seemed too much of a problem to me. Both safety wise and just in terms of ease of use.

I own the 4100 (old model, without riving knife) and feel the same about the table size and space in front of the blade. I haven't tried any other saws, to be honest, so I can't comment on how much better/safer I would feel with a bigger table. Nevertheless, I keep finding myself really wanting a larger table, particularly with more space in front of the blade for making cross-cuts. I built a big cross cut sled (bigger than the table itself :eek:) to somewhat compensate!

Chris Tsutsui
05-01-2009, 6:14 PM
I have a bosch 4100 on the gravity rise stand.

It's great because it stores upright to take up minimal space in my garage!

Sure the top is a tad small. I got the left and outfeed supports which help some. But what is a real gem is the rigid flat work support stand and using a shim I can match the height of the table perfectly.

The saw blade can be dialed in to perfection with adjustments and the motor doesn't bog ripping 2" thick rock maple.

Did I mention that I use the Bosch Saw blade that comes with the saw? Only cheap blades for me and no complaints yet so I havn't upgraded to a more boutique blade.

Mine has a riving knife and blade protector that is quick to install and remove with a hex bolt.

Dust collection on this saw gets about 90-95% of the saw dust with a shop vac or DC.

I got mine for an incredible deal of $325 from costco "brand new" when they were closing the saws out. I was there for lunch walking around and saw it and my jaw dropped so that same day I came home with a new saw that I hid in my garage for a few months. :) [end gloat]

Mike Pond
05-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Thank you all for your replies. I just stopped at HD and purchased the Ridgid TS ($599) along with the Jointer/Planer ($429) for $728 delivered. Sadly, additional 10% discounts would not stack.

Rich Engelhardt
05-03-2009, 8:21 AM
Hello,
Wise move.

I tried to get by with a job site saw & found it too limited for most of the things I wanted to do.

Thankfully, I went with the Hitachi and not the Bosch or the DeWalt.
(Had I gone the better/more expensive route, I would have been stuck with it due to the amount of $$ tied up).

Job site saws are great - if they have a job site to go to, or space is so limited in the shop that nothing else will work.